1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Daily net income goal!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Full throttle lawn care, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

This is more for the solo companies. Day in and day out there seems to be a ceiling on how much you can make. For me and my area and solo 250.00 to 300.00 a day is my net goal for 8hr day. The 8hrs includes at home prep work getting every thing ready for the next day,blade sharpening etc. Is this a typical net income number per work day for most?
  2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what type of work you are doing, I do more than just cut, and I do have a guy and sometimes two working for me a good deal of the time. There are days where I honestly feel as though I lose money. Turn around on the other end and there are days I break the bank.

Seems to me getting base hits each and every day is difficult to do, we get base hits most days, some days strike out, hit some home runs. In the end though, so far we always win the game. payup

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I don't even think of what I net daily its what you net per man hr. and what you net at the end of the yr that important.

BTW- $300 at 8 hrs is only 37.50 per hr. about what an auto worker gets with bennies and he don't have to worry about customer satifaction so is that amount what your happy with and are you making the profit you want and need to make?
  4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

you should defentally shoot for more then 250 to 300.
  5. Full throttle lawn care

I'm baseing my net strictly on a 9to5 day winter and summer and a total of two 5acre properties a day at a rate of anywhere between 120.00 to 150.00 per property. Each one takes from gate up to gate down 2.5hrs with total drive time of 1.5hrs total leaving 1.5hrs for equipment maintenance at home. I could always make more but my family would suffer with longer hrs.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Solo or not, I look for a truck to bring in between 900 - 1000
    that is with 2 guys so 1 will make 450 - 500 per guy.
    Restocking and blades will take up about an hour per day and truck maintenance will take about 1 pre week so about 6 per week per truck.
    I look to get 6 hours production per day from each guy or 60 per week
    This works out to about 75 per hour of actual production or around 52 per actual hour

But this does not work out right most of the time.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

are we talking peak $/day here? or weekly service? I'll assume weekly service.

i've yet to break $1100 profit per day by myself doing a weekly type of service. As soon as i can net $1K/day for a couple days a week I'll be happy :)

1.5hrs drive for two accounts? Something ain't right there. I have about 1.75-2 for 18 accounts over two towns.
  8. jimmdenver

jimmdenver LawnSite Member

Gosh darnit, full throttle! You need some guys workin under you so that you can boost that daily income. Working with ONE other guy, I'd net $800 on a day we were just mowing. And these were just the easy ones. An 8 hour day, my employee would get 80 bucks, leaving me with $720. I couldn't do half that by myself. Then again, these days, all I'm good for is planting my ass in the seat of a Scag or Bobcat. Ahh thats the guinness talkin
  9. Full throttle lawn care

I hear ya! I think when I do these accounts a few times I should be able to shave 30min from each one and have enough time left over for a third one. Also when I get more accounts I should be able to group them together and save on drive time also. If I can net between 300 and 400 a day that would be great. My main goal is not so much the money but keeping my new biz simple and stress free.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well now the guy's in his first year and for that, 250-300/day is pretty good. To be blunt, that's kickin' azz.
    Far as the ceiling, it takes T-I-M-E so don't worry about it and just keep doing what you're doing and one day the ceiling will magically have disappeared but you can't think about it too much, just keep working, lalala...

Most I've ever grossed is 500+ but what some folks fail to tell you is that was AFTER 150 in expenses, so suddenly it's not so impressive anymore. For me, I did 200 dollars in 7 hours today and I'm cool with that, dunno for sure whom to believe around here when it comes to this but I believe you speak the truth. This isn't the busiest time of year, thou demand is high, the days are short and I can't get the hours in regardless, 40-degree temps slow me down hard in the mornings...

Come spring time, I can do 300-400/day, but that's 6am until dark and that's JUST grass-cutting. If I do some of the other stuff (like mulch), I can do 500+ but again, it's AFTER 150 in cost of mulch alone. Well schitt any idiot can quote 150 for cost and 50 to drive to the mulch yard and load up for the 200 and spend money and talk about they made 100 dollars/hour but they didn't really earn but 25/hour after they paid for the mulch now, did they?