Daily rate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fblandscape, Jan 22, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I was talking with a long time friend the other day about daily rates for when he sends his crew out to cut grass. He runs a crew of either 2 or 3 with 48" belt driven walk behinds. They load the machines into the back of a pick-up truck for the most part. He said that a good day for him is $600 for just cutting grass. The days range between $400 and $600 for cutting grass. He says he is happy if he can pocket $200 per day. What are your thoughts on this?

2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

400$ no less for cutting grass.

3. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

400$ after payouts, Two man crew

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

lets do the math: 3 guys on 48s have to be able to knock off 18 medium residentials in 8 hrs. at $30 a pop, thats $540. $240 in salary, $15-$20 in fuel. leaves $280. now, he needs to figure out his average daily operating cost before he can figure out how much he "pockets"

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

2 guys with 52" or 61" machines = $700 (+ or - $50) per day.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what counts. Everyone has their numbers.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

dont forget to add in the cost of FICA and whatever other taxes/fees your locality has....in a season this stuff adds up to a not-insignifcant cost factor...and of course you need to add your other fixed costs/depreciation etc....

8. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

By myself with a 52" Z and a 36" wb for the small stuff; average $500, with another person $700, because of all the crappy breaks they need.

9. goose

goose LawnSite Member

My 3 man crews usually gross about $1000-$1200 per 8-10 hour day.I have all my routes set up pretty tight so there is very limited travel time once they get to the first job , this helps a lot . Most of my trucks only put on about 9,000 miles a year.Routing is the biggest obsticle in our business and I'd like to think I got a good handle on it.
    Goose

10. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Big difference between 2 & 3.

At MINIMUM WAGE the 10/hr day cost is OVER $100.00