Daily worksheets

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ShortCuts, Apr 28, 2002.

1. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I am currently very unhappy with the worksheets i've been using for the past 2 years. I made it with a ruler and pencil and then copied them by the hundreds. I am looking for something a little more professional. We run one 3 man crew and mow anywhere between 15- 35 lawns a day. I tried making one using Works but i wasn't happy with the results. What do you guys running larger operations use? Any ideas?

please post a copy of your worksheet

2. SuperLawn

SuperLawn LawnSite Member

I have a Lawn Monkey 2002 Pro Plus :blob2:

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we use lawn monkey as well, but before that I used a simple appointment calendar program called calendar creator plus. it allowed me to set recurring lawns in an order like appointments and printed them daily with est times and lines for time in /out. great for weeklies and the ones that always fall on the same day. DAv eg

4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I use CLIP and don't have anywhere near that many to do in a day. If I did, I'd probably still use it. Or maybe a spreadsheet. You can use MSWorks to import database and spreadsheet info to a document, and let the Windows scheduler keep track of it all. I don't remember how we set it up, but I did it before the days of CLIP. Before that I used a manual system with 3x5 cards and a calendar.

5. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

ACT! have been using it for years and love it, plus it is compatable with Q-books pro 2002, real life saver
    AK Lawn

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

QXpress, fom makers of lawn monkey.. Links with quickbooks.
    Great program, Great customer support. The program is designed like a calandar. The ease and automation is still amazing to me.:D

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Shortcuts,

You must be talking about field notes? Or a route sheet you carry to the job?

Your homemade ruler sheet will work, Excel by Microsoft is a step above Works. Keep practicing on the Works, you can get a decent looking sheet.

I have gone paperless and use a PDA in the field.

8. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We use Excel for our customer list - easy to edit, move listings around.

Our daily paperwork is recorded on sheets I designed and revised over the last 8 to 10 years. Designed them in Quark Express, a page layout program.

You need to know what you're trying to track in order to come up with effective daily paperwork. For instance, I want to know how much travel time my crew spends versus mowing.

We broke our sheets down into two sections - billable work versus non billable work. From there, the billable has 11 categories and non billable has 6 categories. The foreman will write in how much time is spent in each of the categories that day. For instance, a 9 hours in payroll might break down into 1.25 hrs travel, 2.5 hrs performing bed maintenance and 5.25 hrs on mowing maintenance. Some days there might be .5 or 1.0 hrs for equipment maintenance. We then can track billable percentages by employee, by crew and for the company. Each crew and each employee has different expecations for being billable. For instance, a foreman will be less billable than a production guy.

We input this information into a spread sheet and weekly I look at each crew and their hours spent in various categories and relative sales per category. I can then get a good idea by $/hr how they're producing. Obviously the more billable we are the higher our $/hr will be as well. Later this year we'll have this in a data base format so it's easier to look at all the information from a season. By employee, by crew, by type of service, etc.

If you're interested in more information on how to develop your daily paperwork sheets, email me if you like. I may not have the answer your looking for - but maybe it will help to move you in the right direction.

Doug@lawnlad.com

9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

this is what ive come up with to track jobs still working on it

Attached Files: