1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dakota / Ranger / S-10 / Tacoma

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PlatinumLandCon, Oct 11, 2007.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Any of you guys run an LCO with one of these? I was thinking a 1/2ton was BARE MINIMUM but now i'm starting to think I can get away with a Dakota 4x4 w/ 4.7L V8.
  2. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Im using a ranger 3.0 v6 and its pulling fine. Granite I'm pulling a 5x8 with a 36 and 21 on it but i've seen rangers around here pulling large trailers with 2 z's on them. I wouldn't advise this but it can be done
  3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll be pullin a 36 and a 21 too. Maybe a bigger trailer, 5x10 possibly. I tihnk the fuel efficiency of these trucks makes it worth it....
  4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

'00 Dakota 4.7 4X4

It's got a lotta heart. (and 142K)

I've run at 14K gross and the engine and trans were good for it. It's too much for the rest of the truck though.:nono:

For a maintenance route; ZTR, WB, and the rest of the mess...... no problem whatsoever with a single or tandem trailer.
  5. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Well the fuel efficiency is my truck decided to hate me a long time ago, for some reason i get like 15-17 mpg and i've heard of someone getting 30 with a ranger which doesn't seem to be possible
  6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I have an 02' ZR2 S-10 and I pull a 6x12 enclosed with a ztr, 36 wb, and all the other stuff with no problem. I really think I could pull a 7x14 enclosed and wish I had one but I know the truck would begin to squat too much and thats not somthing Im interested in right now. My gas mileage sucks because I have mud terrains so I cant say I save much over a fullsize.

Whoever told you they are getting 30mpg is on some cheap crack. If the mileage is even 22-24, that would be pretty dang good and thats still a ways from 30mpg.
  7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Dakota all the way. I started out with a dakota pulling a 16ft trailer with a dixie rider, exmark wb, and gravely wb. It was over weight, but I was stupid then. lol. Anyway, Dakota is the way to go.

The dakota is bigger than the ranger and s10, and you shouldnt even consider a tacoma.
  8. Ron Marston

Ron Marston LawnSite Member
    from Maine

im going to be running 5x8 with a 2000 s-10 2.2 with brand new tranny and a b/m trans cooler
  9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for the Dakota. I love my '03. It was previously my dad's and it is the most reliable truck in the world. 115K miles and there might be $1000 worth of parts and labor into other than regular maintenance. I think just the axles seals went and the usual first set of Dodge balljoints. Other than that is has been the most reliable truck in the world. I have towed everything possible with it and it just doesn't back down. It has tons of power and is a great truck. I think it looks good too. I love it.

10. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2001 Ranger with the 4.0 6 cyl in it and I tow a 14 footer with a full size z, a mini z, a 21 and all of the hand and power stuff. I have had zero trouble with this setup for the three years I have had it. I average 20 mpg. I also have a 6'8" Sno Way plow and it is working well.