Lawn Care Forum banner

Dallas-Fort Worth Area LCO's

339K views 2K replies 259 participants last post by  ToddH 
#1 Ā·
Just starting a thread for us here in North Texas. Maybe we can refer some work to others and such.

#2 Ā·
This sounds like a good idea. I'm located in North Richland Hills and cover Haltom City, Watagua, Richland Hills, North Richland Hills, Hurst, Euless, and Bedford. I'm trying to add customers on the same blocks as my current ones to I can schedule better as well as grow my buis. I would like to hear from others in North Texas to compare jobs, pricing, customers etc.

#3 Ā·
There was another post for TX that I responded to, but that was more west of us. I run in Frisco, Little Elm, The Colony, Oak Point area. Just received my TDA license and working on insurance and equipment... any suggestions would be great...

Other than maintenance what else do you guy work on... needing somebody with expertise in deck building and natural stone work...

#4 Ā·
I am up in Denton. We only mow in Denton, Argyle, and Corinth. Just too much traffic to try and go farther south.
Hodge,
If you need liability ins. or workmens comp., go to and independent agent and see if they handle American Mercury/ LLoyds insurance. My agent handles this company and their rates are very good compared to others I have looked at.:)

#6 Ā·
I am just starting and looking to do the Tropy club area.

Anyone doing that area?

Sure would like to hear from anyone else in the DFW area.

ALSO:
I am looking for a used 36" WB....anyone have some info where I can get some used equipment.

Adrian :blob4:

#7 Ā·
Hey guys, Im just outside of Waco so Im to far from yall. I thought you might like to know(if you dont already) that one of the best dealers in your area is Crockett Service Center on Harry Hines. Hes 60 miles from me but Ive bought a Toro 36" and Toro 44" Z from him. You cant beet is customer satisfaction. Go check him out.

#8 Ā·
TurfGuyTX

Do you know of any company that hands out flyers/hangers. The time to put out 2k - 3k hangers takes away from other work. I have had good success before just looking for a more effective way...

Mowingman,

I finaly went with Hoskiss in dallas, price was right.. thanks for the recommendation.

well the season is starting and I have my liquid and granular items... now just working on a 6, 8, 12 month applicaiton program. Was going to work with Lesco, but now will be working with GreenSmiths in Frisco. Product is good and prices are right... Anybody else doing apps yet?
:)

#9 Ā·
Hodge,

I'll try and get the number for you tomorrow. It's at the office and depends on if I have time to be there. If not tomorrow, I'll get it to you before week's end.

Greenflag,

Let's try and hook up. We get calls for Burleson and usually just pass on them. They are just a little out of our area. Maybe they'd be right for you.

#12 Ā·
Adrian,

I called him just now to make sure he still had the mower. He sold it this morning. I'm sorry, I just checked my email, & then called him. I will watch for something for you. I did see a 44" at a pawn shop in Burleson last week. I didn't stop to look at it though. The shop is Julie's pawn the number is 817-447-8831. If that would work, you may call & see if they still have it.

Garry

#18 Ā·
I have a customer that was requesting a French drain place in her back yard, but there are other problems with drainage.. more than what a French drain can solve. The yard is uneven and as she has told me alot of th neighbors water fill up her yard when it rains.

Since I do not have the knowledge of what to do would anybody be interested in this "project" or can you provide information on what to do. :rolleyes:

#21 Ā·
Outrun jason,

No I don't have any trucks displaying our name on them....yet..:)

TO other LCOs:

Do any of you advertise in the Dallas morning news?...and what has been your response.

Also who drops of your flyers, at what rate per thousand and what is their number.

Keep this thread going....the longer it grows the more we help each other.

Adrian

#22 Ā·
I have never used the Dallas Morning News but I can tell you that I have used some neighborhood stuff. Like some homeowners associations have like a small book that they print up and distrubute to there memebers. I placed an add in the book but didn't have one call. So I would tell you to shy away from something like that. The cost was like $100.

As far as distributing flyers I just pay my guy $7.00 an hour and we go out together. I had called some companies about distributing flyers but I tossed there numbers. I think some wanted like .15 cents per flyer to put them out. I think they also created the flyers. But that is just to much for me for now.

Jason

Jason's Lawn Service

#23 Ā·
Hmmm,

I appreciate the input on the homeowners Association paper....sounded like such a good idea. I will stay away from that, guess its something less to try.

I talked to someone that had place an as in the Dallas morning news and said that you do get calls but that they are scattered all over the place even if you state the area you are working they will call you from other areas. Also he said that the jobs were not that great.

Thought this would help.
Adrian

#24 Ā·
That is true about being scatterd. I did advertise I think in the greensheet or something a couple of years ago and I didn't like it. Most ppl dont go to the news paper for a lawn service. For one they shouldn't have to they should have enough flyers on there door if they need a lawn service.

Jason

#25 Ā·
I'm concentrating on a 3 mile radius around my home in Lewisville. The 3 mile radius includes southern Lewisville, eastern Flower Mound and northern Coppell.

Just started out this January. Right now, I have 15 customers. 11 weekly mowing customers and another 4 who only take fertilization/weed control. Hoping to finish up next November with a lot more than that.

I see a ton of competition in my area. When I see another LCO with a name on the side of the truck, I write down the name. So far, I've counted 33 LCO's in my area that compete with me. There must be another 33 LCO's who don't even have a name for their business. Not even a magnetic sign on the side of the truck or a simple sign on the trailer.

Right now (April 6th) when I'm passing out flyers, I am noticing a ton of business cards from guys with no real business name, just their personal name. All are hispanic. I have a feeling these guys are pricing their mowing services really low.

Anyone have a feel for how cheap these guys are? I've thought about calling them out to my home to see how broken their english is or how cheap they are. I'm sure the presentation to the customer is terrible. I'm just curious to see how they price and present themselves.

Does anyone get the feeling that there may be too many folks in this business right now?

Later,
DFW, TX

#26 Ā·
I agree with you that there are a lot of lawn companies. I don't know how there are so many. Sometimes I wonder how I am even hanging in there with all these other lawn companies.

As far as how cheap they are? In my area I see flyers for about $20 - $25 and some in the $30's. I don't think they are any cheaper than anyone else.

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.