Dallas-Fort Worth Area LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by TurfGuyTX, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Help me with some full shade shrubs

I really like the Fatsia but I am afraid it will freeze this far North with winters like this year.
    Deciduous- I have thought of Beautyberry and Deutzia
    Evergreen- Aucuba, Camellia [really like], Pieris or Yew

I would like to keep it about 3' high and this area is surrounded by concrete so drainage is a issue. Please help with ideals. I am much better with full sun to part shade plants than I am with full shade plants.

2. Turf Dawg

Bump this up

3. Hope Landscaping

Hope Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I like using evergreens, its usually a safe bet, but also I think it depends where your putting them...any other plants around it?

4. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

How about Gardenias. I'm like you don't know much about full shade. A nursery recommended these on an install 2 years ago and they have done well under a large oak tree on the south side of the home.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Turf Dawg

Do you know what kind you used? I love the smell of Gardenias when blooming but most freeze out in this area. I have been told that there is a newer one around that is supposed to do OK in this area but I do not know about the size and if they are making it with a winter like this year.

6. LibertyFarmLandscaping

from NE TX

I can't remember, I called the Nursery I bought them from and got a vm. I'll let you know what type they were when they call back.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Turf Dawg

I know there is one they started selling a few years ago called Frost Free, Frost Proof or something like that but I didn't know how they were doing. Have you seen the ones you planted lately to see how well they are doing?

8. Turf Dawg

Just wondering how everyone thinks the semi tender perennials are doing. I have noticed a few Verbenas, Saliva's, Lantana, ect..... starting to bud at the base but not many, especially the Lantanas. Most of the ones I have been cutting back look like they are going to need replaced.

9. LibertyFarmLandscaping

from NE TX

Yeah they still look good. That's what they were frost free Gardenias. I just googled it. The nursery never called me back, and I forgot about it, sorry.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Turf Dawg

Oh crap.
    Just got up to pee and my phone says it is 30 degrees outside. I hope my skid sprayer is OK.
    Posted via Mobile Device