1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dallis Grass in Bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mcambrose, Apr 28, 2003.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lawn where the Dallis grass is up already. Is it ok to spray Bermuda with MSMA this time of year for the Dallis Grass? I am in north Alabama. Temps are now around 75-80 degrees F during the day and 50-65 degrees F during the night. Also, will there be less injury to the Bermuda in this temperature range? In the hot summer I get a lot of burning with the MSMA. I usually spray at a rate of 1.5 oz/gal with non-ionic surfactant for spot spraying.

One other thing. There is some fescue or annual rye mixed with some of this Bermuda that I would like to disappear. Might the MSMA kill the fescue or rye or weaken it so the Bermuda would take over.
  2. Should be ok, I think the label said 85.

It will fry the Burmuda before the Fescue.

To help with burning, mix 2 oz per a gallon of liquid iron in with the MSMA.
  3. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

++++It will fry the Burmuda before the Fescue++++

I'm trying to stamp out Fescue in a Bermuda lawn here in Dallas with MSMA. The Bermuda is browned out where I spot treated and the Fescue is just about to bite the dust.

One more app ought to finish it off. The Bermuda will grow back. The temps here have been high of 80 or so. Somedays, upper 70's. Not exactly perfect conditions for MSMA, but it's coming along.

DFW, TX
  4. Aint that what I said?:dizzy:

Can still kill the Burmuda, but it will spread back over to it.

IGROTURF LawnSite Member
    from CHAR NC

No godfather, bermuda will take the msma app, it is fescue that will burn.Aventis has a new herbicide called revolver. it should do a good job on dallis.
    To take out fescue and rye look at corsair or manor, Both do a good job on clumpy coolseason grass.
  6. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

The other option is too simply use Round-up. There are directions on the label on how to use it for "Bermuda Release. It can only be used one time a year. I have used it in special situations where the Dalis grass was either very large or there were many small colonies of it adjacent to each other. Either way there was very little Bermuda present. I did this three weeks ago, the Bermuda started coming back this week, I fertilized with some starter fert and will see what it looks like this week. What I am seeing however in situations where much Dalis Grass is present, the damage from the MSMA and Round-up seem to be equivalent yet the Bermuda seems to recover from the Round-up faster because only one treatment is needed. For spot spraying of small Dalis clumps where there is still considerable Bermuda I still use MSMA.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Are these contols mentioned the same for all types of Bermuda? I usually hate Bermuda but, I can see at some point some customer will have it and like it so I'm paying attention.
  8. LawnMagic1

LawnMagic1 LawnSite Member

You can spray MSMA now, but you are not going to get effective control especially with those day and nightime temps. Also, you should read the label....1 oz/gallon to cover 1,000 sq.ft....it's the law!

To answer question #2....your going to burn the sht out of your bermuda and just piss the fescue and rye off. O.K. that was just a joke....but seriously why dont you just wait until the bermuda goes dormant and spray roundup or its generic and smoke that sht!:blob2:

:drinkup: CHEERS!!!!
  9. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had any experience with Revolver for Dallis grass? Does it do a better job than MSMA?
  10. pushmower

pushmower LawnSite Member

when treating for dallis grass should i spot treat or treat the entire yard? using msma.