Dallisgrass Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hmartin, May 29, 2006.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

How may applications of MSMA it is taking the people treating dallisgrass to get under control? I picked up a lawn with a lot of it, and the customer is concerned that they might not like the yellowing of MSMA. I told him it would take at least 3 applications. I have spot treated dallisgrass with MSMA in a few lawns and it seemed like it took forever to get rid of it. The customer wants it gone now or I would do the following.

In my own lawn, last fall about a week after the bermuda went dormant(I know, it probably wasn't fully dormant), the dalllisgrass was still green and I sprayed glphosate on it very carefully and those spots were killed without injury to the bermuda. The same thing early this spring, the dallisgrass that I missed or that was to small to be noticeable in the fall turned green about 2 week before the bermuda and I sprayed glyphosate carefully. Dallisgrass gone.

Has anyone used Revolver for Dallisgrass? Results? Cost?

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep a spray can on my truck with Revolver and MSMA mixed. This seems to do a good job on Dallis, and sometimes produces results with just one application. Normally though it takes a second shot.

I've also seen research that Certainty + MSMA was also effective.

3. ALATURF

ALATURF LawnSite Member

What rate do you mix that at?

4. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

In my own yard, I cut down a heavy population of dallasgrass with one app. I was going to make another app after 14 days, but we had rain, but that was a while ago.

Last tuesday I made another app and the dallasgrass is dying off. I used half the recommended rate plus a spreader sticker.

We haven't had any rain in our area for about three weeks, so I'm sure that helped the kill.

As for the turf yellowing it can be counter by either add Chelated iron to your mix or using a fert with iron followed by irrigation.

Before you do anything inform the client about the damage potential. CYA by putting it in writing.

5. hmartin

I have used 1 to 2 ounces per gallon for spot spray at different times. For blanket, 1 ounce per M usually. I have used closer to 2 oz/M for blanket apps. (2 oz/M is on some labels for 6 lb. material), but the bermuda looks yellow to long for me. I have read that iron mixed with MSMA reduces its effectiveness, but I don't know how much.

I found this yesterday.
    http://turfweeds.utk.edu/presentations/Dallisgrass_control11_3_04.pdf#search='dallisgrass%20msma'

This has a lot of good info on dallisgrass. This says that it is going to take 3 to 4 app. of 1 oz/M to get above 70% control.

6. ThreeWide

Revolver at 0.4 oz/M (You might get away with less)

MSMA at 0.8 oz/M

7. hmartin

TurfUnlimited,
    Are you getting good control on one app. with that mix? How much is Revolver? I am using a boom sprayer, is 60 gpa enough water? How much does the amount of water make a difference in control?

8. ThreeWide

I usually see major injury with one app, but to really control it two is better.

This is in a spot spray situation, where 1 gallon of water is mixed at a time.

Revolver is generally about $180 for a 32oz bottle that treats 1 acre.

9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We wait for daily highs of 90 degrees and when we do our regular applications, we leave a note on the door that says this:

Today, ______________, our crew leader noticed that you have dallisgrass in the lawn. This is by far the worst weed that we encounter. It is a perennial, meaning that just like your lawn, this weed comes back from the roots each spring. Our pre-emergence applications do nothing to stop it. Left untreated, it will never go away. If you would like to have it treated, it will require 4 to 7 treatments on 7 day intervals. Each treatment is $39.00. Once this weed is eradicated, if you stay on our plan, you wonÂ’t get it again. Dallisgrass is typically only found in lawns that have been severely neglected.

We have a good picture of dallisgrass on our website if you would like to see which weed we are talking about. Go to meierslandscape.com and then go to lawn weed control prices.

We are able to eradicate the dallisgrass with no harm to the bermuda, but it does take over a month for the entire procedure. A week after the first treatment, the dallisgrass doesn't show any visible stress. Two weeks after the first treatment, it is starting to yellow out a little, but the bermuda never shows any signs of stress.

I hope somebody can answer this question, becuse I've been wondering for a while. How does this grass spread? Does this grass have rhizomes?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. hmartin

I found some info that said that it has rhizomes.