dam lowballers!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by eight1seven, Apr 6, 2006.

1. eight1seven

eight1seven LawnSite Member

I guess i have to get use to it thers this lawncare comp.doing lawns at $25 no matter what size they are :hammerhead: I mean is it even worth it? what do ya think of this bs?
  2. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

Are they a large outfit? If so, they could be really efficient or out of business soon. They come and go. I have heard the competition is fierce down there.
  3. eight1seven

i know they have 4 trucks running 2 workers (look like homeless)per truck but at $25 a house they must b getting paid like 5 bucks an hr i guess as long as they get enough for beer their ok i guess?
  4. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

good post sooner i guess in texas though there are probably illegal workers .but you have to ask how long can they go on at those prices, how long will it take before those customers to finally ring you
  5. allenh60

allenh60 LawnSite Member

I guess it depends on where you are at. Alot of my lawns are $25.00 a whack and most of them complain about paying that much.
  6. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Do you pay taxes? If not then $25 for a huge lawn "cash," is like making a measly lets say 10 bucks an hour, and if you have an employee on huge lawns I just can't see making more than that, cause you have to edge, and blow, mabye even some bed work. Dam guy's, I feel for you, in my area the Tax's are $10,000 minimum and houses are 550 G's minimum and they still can't believe that they can actually talk to there gardener, after they hired me. THey wana tell all there friends that there is actually knowledge and dependibility still around now adays. Especially in an area as cut throat as Long Island NY........ QUIT!!!!!! Fire the customers that don't pay or "COMPLAIN." THen you'll have a few "blue chip," customers........ start your business again...... Also...... If TEXAS IS SO REPUBLICAN AND AMERICAN, WHY WOULD TEXANS SELL OUT hard working americans for Illegal, "HOMELESS," looking petty, retarted, slave workers who just send there money $5 an hour, back to were ever there from? KEEP THE MONEY IN THE US!!!!!:usflag:
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you answered your own question...
  8. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to say the same thing. A lot of lawn care people sometime confuse "lowballing" to themselves trying to push up the industry standard. Yes, it is true that some people can make $50 where others can only make $20.00...but there are A LOT of factors that make that happen.
  9. eight1seven

i guess thats business:dizzy:
  10. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

Depending on your market, $25.00 isnt bad.

We can be low on our price because we use lawn cutting to fill the gaps between hardscapes, patios, walls, larger installs, irrigation installs etc..

If we break even or up to 15% margin on grass cutting we are happy.

Not to mention the guys that work for me enjoy cutting.

Another segment that has grown exponentially for us is irrigation startups in the spring, and blow out in the fall. Maintenance is huge too. You would be surprised how many homeowners break heads on the edge of driveways etc..

We just replaced 15 heads for a guy that decided to rent a core aerator and do his own property, needless to say he went over the lawn three times in three directions, overseeded and then decided to give the new seed a drink, what a site.

When we arrived I turned on the first zone and laughed my Azz off, water was bubbling out of the ground on 2 heads and 2 shot up like gysers.

I told him for $45.00 we would have aerated the lawn for him and repaired any damaged heads for free. He said next year we could aerate for him as he handed me my check for $400.00