Dam Parents!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Jul 15, 2003.

?

How where your parents?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2003.
  1. STUBBORN PARENTS

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. GOOD PARENTS

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I swear my parents complain about every upgrade I make in my lawn care business, want to buy a gas powered hedge trimmer "do you really need that?" Well the battery one just ain't cutting it!!!!!!!!!! They would be happy if I went around with an old reel type mower< (the ones they had in the 40's), and a broom!! Does anyone else have this problem??????? It's so anoying!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yes, I had that problem back about a year and a half ago. My parents are both cool but sometimes stubborn. They were always questioning my actions and so far I've done well to back my actions up. They won't let me get a trimmer with multi-attachemnt, they were kinda weary about buying a second mower, but I made up my mind and I'm keeping both mowers, the older one for backup. But keep annoying hem, they'll crack one way or another. Tell tehm it will make you more productive because you will not need to hookup all of those extension chords and when they get tangled and so forth and therefore save time and space if you are tight on that. When I bought my first backpack, the used PB-602, my dad waas always saying why do you need that thing, and eventually he began using it hne I wasn't home on some of his rental properties and now he's glad we have one, it saves a lot of time. Good luck

3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Im 23 yrs old live with my wife and still have this problem.

4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I only wish I still had your problem. I lost my mom ten years ago. Enjoy your parents while you can. They will quit there complaning and worrying about you all too soon.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Cool your jets. I used to think my parents were over-reacting when I asked for a new peice of equipment but they've proved right. I now have a good eye for good used stuff and if you lay out the good points to what you want and the bad of what you got, and ask them to sit down and look at the info you've pooled together, and tell them why you need it and how fast it will be paid for, they'll probably listen to you and may surprise you. You also have to prove that you are responsible and can indeed make money with this and how much better of a job/faster job it will do than the old one. My parents now trust me and if I say I need something, I lay out the facts and why and the cost, how long it will be paid for and how much better it is, and they usually listen and consider it. My mom is a good business partner (unofficial) and helps me with the money side of it and is good at talking me out of spending money on something I don't need ;)
    Try to be more patient and work with them more. Patience is key!
    Good luck this season!

6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto, here. They don't understand that upgrading boosts productivity, which makes my day go quicker/easier, which gets me home for dinner on time and in a better mood!

Dam? Is that like a Dyke? JK I'm not calling your folks that! Damn.....

Brian

7. colonel landscaping

colonel landscaping LawnSite Member

well when i need new equipment i pay cash for it and make sure i have atleast double what i am going to be spending.. no biggey for a hedge trimmer or string trimmer.. took me awhile to get enough for the Lazer though but its Great not having any payments, it was well worth busting my balls to double the money... i understand that at 17 when i purchase my new truck i wont be able to have 64,000k in the bank but i can have pretty close to the cost of the truck... for me if i dont have the money... i dont get it... cant get into debt that way and you dont have to make payments every month. if you dont have the money for stuff chances are you dont really need it at this point in time. bust your butt for a while like i did and get the money... then your parents cant complain.. you have the money you have it in cash.. go buy it! ....thats just my opinion everyone has there own way just thought id throw my idea out there.

8. Well what happened when you needlessly bought a SCAG 61" STHM not once but TWICE?

You didn't need either one.

Go out and buy those hedge trimmers, you shouldn't need to convince your parents to spend small sums of your money.

Whatever you do don't get a 3 colors, pieced together one. It don't look professional.:rolleyes:

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What was that in reference to? lol j/k:p

10. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

I'll have to agree with mostly everybody about parents complaining about buying stuff. I've talked this over with my parents, mostly my mom and it's just because they don't want to see me get in over my head and fail. I'll say that I have to see where they are coming from on that.

I'll have to say that my parents are worried about me buying a piece of equipment until they see that it helps me out, or they actually get to use it and like it.

My main problem lies in when I want to take on more customers or more jobs. They get mad because since I am also working a full time job 35-40 hours a week, it doesn't leave much time for me to help out around the house. About the only time I am home is when it is raining or dark outside.

That is basically my two cents on this. All I have to say is that the parents are just trying to make sure I succeed, not fail

Zach