damage belt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grassmart, Mar 20, 2003.

1. grassmart

grassmart LawnSite Member

I need serious help I have no Idea....I change the pulley that is the one that rides the belt and does not have a blade nor the one that's on engine. my problem is that it keeps damaging the and eating up the belt. I have a scag sw48. and I just don't know what to adjust anymore. I see the belt riding on bottom and not in the center. what can I do please help me this is the 3rd belt and at 35 dollars per belt it is going to take me to the poorhouse.

2. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

If your machine has a fixed deck, ( not floating) check to see that all your pulleys are at approximately the same height or running on the same plain. Check your idler arm for excessive wear which can cause the idler pulley to run at an angle. Check your spindles for bearing play. Check that the drive pulley on your engine has not moved up or down on the crankshaft and that it is tight. Last make sure the belt your using is the right one and that all belt keepers are in their proper positions.
    Josh

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Are you sure you have the right pulley? Even a small variation can cause problems. When you changed the pulley, did you put the washers/spacers (if it had them) back in the right order, and on the correct sides? If you can't remember how they were originally, or don't have a diagram, find someone else with the same mower to compare how they are set up.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Are you watching what the belt does while it is engaged??? An overly loose belt will flap wildly and cause the belt to crack, and in turn, schread.