1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Damage caused by Zero

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gobblet, May 25, 2007.

1. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Had my first semi major accident caused by mowing. Trying to get around the park bench that sits in this yard clipped it with front caster and split the leg in two(metal). I guess since it was in grass it was somewhat planted in the dirt. Gave them a note and a free cutting ($45). Just was curious what damage you have caused by a high powered mowing piece of equipment. Not counting hoses and rugs, I've done those a couple of times.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Ironically, no real damage with my ztr. I did break up some vinyl siding with my string trimmer back in the "early days". Biggest pain in the honkus customer and pain in the honkus trying to locate that particular brand of siding and then having to repair the thing. I'm getting mad just sitting here typing remembering the whole thing.:angry:
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The week after 9/11 I was mowing a lawn close to home with the old gravely that had a hitch that stuck out about a foot behind the left rear wheel(used for attaching an Acre ease trail mower). Was distracted by the sight (and sound) of a military fighter plane lighting up its afterburners after passing by the cessna prop job it was chasing through the Maryland skies. Looked up, as I looked up, I snagged a cheap aluminum light pole with the hitch, pulled it over onto the sidewalk, and busted every piece of glass in it. I about s**t my pants! The owner of the property wanted it replaced exactly the same as what was there. I had to go to 3 different Home Cheapo's to find that damned ugly discontinued piece of crap fixture, and the repair cost me 2x what the mow was. Some days it don't pay to get out of bed!:hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't do it but a friend of mine did. He was mowing next to a highway and spit out some rocks, hit a driver of a car though the side window, knocked the guy out and he drove off through a ditch and hit a power pole. I never mow beside a road with the discharge chute pointing towards traffic. Boy was he a moron.

He is still paying restitution to the guy he hit.

One of the large companies here had one of their workers hit one of those little wire survey flags with a Zero. It threw it out the side and stick it into a man on a motorcycle. The guy had to have emergency surgery to get it out his lung.
  5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

they do it all the time down here.