Damage Control...What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Mar 29, 2004.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Contract arrived at customers house today which is my neighbor who lives next door to my new employee that will be starting next week. Warm Day out, the neighbors decide to get together and have a few pops and beers....Well the mailman gives my customer the contract and she decides to open it in front of all the neighbors and my new employee. As they decide to pass it around they begin to delve on my labor rate....All of a sudden the conversation turns negative....Like I am a millionaire or something and I am raping my customers and employees. My labor rate is at the industry average and I am a fully legit licensed, insured and fully reporting company....How should I deal with this situation, the new guy is going to think he deserves more because of my posted labor rate....Not to mention he has already brought up the fact of what happens to his pay when it rains. How would you deal? After I calm down, I 'll deal with the situation....Needless to say, I am NOT to happy with my customer(neighbor eek:)

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt do anything except tell your employee to mind his own business

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Let's see,when you take your car to the dealer for repairs and they charge $50/Hr. does any one think they are paying the mechanic that much?

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

give your employee the bills for the month, the quarter, and the year...see if he changes his mind.

Me honestly, I would fire him so fast

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks .... that's like when employees compare checks .... I have this in my "Legal Statement"

THIS PROPOSAL CONTAINS PROPRIETARY AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION OF FANTASY LAWNS INC. AND SHALL NOT BE USED, DISCLOSED OR REPRODUCED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO EVALUATE THIS PROPOSAL, WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF FANTASY LAWNS INC. IN AND TO THIS DOCUMENT AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN REMAINS AT ALL TIMES IN FANTASY LAWNS INC.

BUT I am curious what is the "Industry Average" for Labor rate of basic maintance

6. packerbacker

<b>THIS PROPOSAL CONTAINS PROPRIETARY AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION OF FANTASY LAWNS INC. AND SHALL NOT BE USED, DISCLOSED OR REPRODUCED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO EVALUATE THIS PROPOSAL, WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF FANTASY LAWNS INC. IN AND TO THIS DOCUMENT AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN REMAINS AT ALL TIMES IN FANTASY LAWNS INC.</b>

Just out of curiousity what happens if one of those is violated?

7. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Well I won't discuss rates, but my accountant beats it into my head that IF I am not billing for 3 times my employees labor rate (labor rate including ALL taxes and insurances built in) then I may as well go flip burgers ~I've been in business for 11 years, so that will never be an option for me....WHILE I AM ON THIS TOPIC, how do you smaller business' deal with rain and labor...What if it rains 4 out of seven days, and your employee is dependant on 40 hours?? WHAT DO YOU DO?

8. packerbacker

WHILE I AM ON THIS TOPIC, how do you smaller business' deal with rain and labor...What if it rains 4 out of seven days, and your employee is dependant on 40 hours??

I dont have employee but when i worked for a guy he always made sure we had 40 hours and he always made sure we worked for it, it might of been just washing trucks or cleaning out the shop on rain days but we always made 40

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Buy him a rain suit and rubber boots.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I tried the whole guarantee pay thing. He was guaranteed 32 hours a week even if he didn't work...back fired on me big time.

I have now learned from this lesson to only pay them for what they have worked