Damage - How do Lawn Services stay in their "league" ?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mdvaden, Dec 7, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that almost rings a bell.

I'm not sure what county you are in, but there's a lot of wind in that entire state - right? At least occassional major damage?

We moved to Savannah just above you, and part of what you stated brings back memories.

When I started business there for the year we were in that city, I felt it was much slower getting work than in Oregon. Then it dawned on me, that maybe a lot of people in the GA and FL area have pruning work done more as crisis repair, instead of manicured tree care.

I found information online about types of plants there, but nothing I read really talked much about the wind storms or humidity. We learned about that, the fire ants and the sand gnats after we moved there. We will probably always live in Oregon now, but I'd never go anywhere again that has sand gnats.

You've probably been there a lot longer than I was around. Yes? So do you think that's part of how it works down there?

2. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Good ... I thought it probably would be. Experience almost always out-weighs class room ... but both are great.

How I work is described in my business name basically ... Lawn and Landscape Mgt. I do most all of my own work ... BUT ... to offer the total package for my customers ... if they require something I do not do ... I have others that I network with to provide the services for me. I really believe that networking is beneficial to the success of any business.

Dave

3. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with you there but it is tough somtimes finding someone you can count on

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

It's also nice that there are still services that overlap services, that you can still trust to help out without undermining in the area of similar services.

You have been around a while, so I'm sure you know that well too.

Here, I found two or three landscape companies, and two arborist services that I can safely refer to my own customers to handle aspects I don't provide. One being irrigation which I don't like doing very much, and climbing which I don't have the equipment for.

I'd have climbed, but found out that I was very uncomfortable at those heights, so I sold my climbing gear one week after I bought it - that was 15 years ago.

Thanks for sharing.