damage to truck by employee

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by whitneyc, Jul 30, 2007.

1. whitneyc

whitneyc LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Was wondering what you guys do if an employee damages your truck while working... had a guy out mowing today for me and when I got back i noticed a huge dent on the rear end of my truck and taillight cover was cracked, bumper scraped up... I think he jackknifed the truck into the enclosed trailer... and he didn't tell me yet. Do you guys make him pay or what do you do??

2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

ABSOLUTELY !!! if he was driving the truck i would make him pay for the damages.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Make him pay. Get some estimates & if it's way out there, at least make him pay the deductible.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

**** happens very easy. How long has he been driving this rig. Its easy to turn the wheel the wrong way. You just need to pay attention to whats happening behind you.

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i dont want to state the obvious but if he cant back up a trailer a) why was he driving it b) why didt you train him better . anyway no i would not charge him it was not caused by misuse or driver neglect. stuff happens if he was out spinning the tires and hot rodding around yes but its not like he did it on purpose

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

what does your employee handbook/guidelines stippulate? you cant charge him unless he signed off at hire to be responsible for negligent damages.

almost sounds like youre not ready for employees and would prolly be better off working for someone else.

7. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

While Brianslawn makes a good point about signing off on damages, I don't think he really wanted to insult you. You have to talk to him about it, and decide for yourself whether he was negligent. If you feel he was, then tell him from this point on, he will be responsible for damage to your equipment. Have him sign off on it. At that point, he may decide to leave your employ.

These are the problems that solo ops don't have to deal with.

8. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

If he's a decent employee, garnishing wages would be a fair way to make him own up to his mistake. Otherwise, take him out! (Financially, of course)

9. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never made an employee pay for a dent on a truck or trailer. I would guess that it probably would be illegal to charge them unless you make them sign an agreement before hand.

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

It is called common sense. I don't have time to right a damn employee handbook... especially in spanish! I know if a truck gets damaged... it was an accident... b/c that is the type of guys I hire. It would piss me off if they did not come right out and tell me though.... most of the time my guys call me the second something breaks.

But I guess I should probably work for "the man"... b/c I don't have an employee handbook!! :rolleyes: