damage underneath trees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jun 26, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

doesn't look like aphid damage to me. more tan brown than bronze. also, i didn't see any greenbugs on my shoes while walking through the lawn. what do you guys think? it is under two different trees in the front lawn.

grass smaller.JPG

grass smaller 2.JPG

2. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

Very difficult to tell from the pictures supplied.

Two very good methods for insect ID is the tug test and a soap flush.

The tug test is simply grabbing ahold of a handful of grass and attempting to rip it free. If it freely dislodges, you should see signs of root feeding insect such as European Chafer Grub.

The soap flush is taking say a coffee can and cutting both ends out to create a cylinder. Push the can into the soil creating a cavity above the soil in which to hold water. Fill the cavity with a soap and water solution and see what floats up to the surface. This is a good method for detecting sucking insects like Chinch Bug.

These methods will not find every insect out there, but it can definately narrow down your choices in less then five minutes time.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Pictures aren't a big help, but it could be a disease. We have had a verrrrrry wet spring here in CT, and a ton of red thread popped up early, followed by some pythium (likes hazy, hot and humid), and now some necrotic ring spot. Take a grass sample and send it off to your local ag extension service or to ohio state's turf program. Check out their website too for a local turf update for you.

4. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

You have to do a little more than look at your shoes to check for aphids. Get on the ole hands and knees and look at the grass man! Also don't know what part of Ohio you're from but if you've had a bit of hot dry spell could be just tree roots outcompeting grass for moisture.