1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Damage when moving/towing a broken down hydro Z-turn

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mikegbuff, Mar 24, 2008.

1. mikegbuff

mikegbuff LawnSite Member

Guys, my friend had a pulley break which knocked out one of his hydro pumps on a zero-turn. He was in a ditch and had no way to push the machine out. He didn't realize he needed to release the hydro pumps. He towed the machine with a tow strap about 30 yards. Is there any way to tell if he may have damaged the transmission? If he damaged it, is this something he would notice immediately or would it show up later?
    Thanks for any help/ideas.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The easiest way to tell is after you get it fixed, drive it.
    Maybe take it kind of easy at first, while you check functions.
    There's just no telling, but chances are it's all right.

I mean, if it caused internal damage there's no telling other than pulling it all apart...
    Likely if it did something it will act funny after it's fixed, or it may not show up for a while.
    So maybe take it easy for a spell...
    But it should be all right.

Peace out.
  3. Jay19LM

Jay19LM LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Tires probably slid on the dirt, gravel ect. Probably didn't hurt a thing. I have drug a lot of dead soldiers into the shop.
    I did see a guy tow a JD rider trying to jump start it. It ripped the guts right out of the transaxle.