Damaged Emerald Zoysia

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by coachc, Dec 19, 2010.

1. coachc

coachc LawnSite Member

took over maintenance of residential home in Raleigh, NC this fall. Home has Emerald Zoysia that was in excellent condition for years. Owners were out of the country last summer and left irrigation up to mother nature. Very dry summer! Several areas of the zoysia turf damaged from drought. Currently we are in December, turf is dormant, but after leaf removal, I can see a lot of turf came up with rakes and we will need to be aggressive in late spring to establish coverage quickly. Any guidance for this coming Spring to help ensure rapid recovery of this zoysia?
    Notes:soil is well balanced per soil test, turf in full sun. applied potash in late october. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

If the areas are not too big I would top dress and seed when it comes available. I think most dealers are sold out for the season. Sod splicing is another option. I would wait until temps stay above 60 for this. Zoysia is forever and will come back rapidly in spring with proper care.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. coachc

coachc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I thought Emerald Zoysia did not have seed, only sprigs or sod. If there is seed, that would be great! As I looked at the property yesterday, there are several areas where some turf has crept into beds. I'm thinking of cutting out the encroaching turf and transplanting it (like springs) to the affected areas, but per your suggestion, I should wait until temps are above 60 (including nights).

4. Patriot Services

Seedland calls it Compadre which is almost a dead ringer in appearence. It also has faster germination and fewer nutrition/water demands. I just checked and they are sold out until spring. Any transplant attempts now are just fighting dormancy. If they really want the envy of the hood yard I would do both. As always it comes down to how much do they want spend.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PremierT&L

PremierT&L LawnSite Member

I was just looking at the seedland website after reading this thread. I think Patriot may be confusing emerald zoysia for meyer zoysia. Emerald is much finer than the pictures of Compadre on the website.

I don't think this is a suitable option for you Coachhc. I think you'll have a tough time getting the seed up, and if you do I don't think it will look like the existing yard.

Depending on how big your bare spots are, you should be able to get those areas to recover with a nice core aeration in late spring followed by a little extra fertilizer and water. Don't overdo the fert and water though, and don't go too early or you'll get brown patch. If that lawn was healthy for years you should still have some rhizomes under the soil, which means the spots will fill in from underneath as well as from the sides. if you have large bare areas that don't show any signs of recovery by early summer, you'll probably have to sod.

My experience has been that seeded zoysia is crap. I haven't grown compadre, but I've grown a ton of zenith and it's garbage. That picture of the golf course fairway on the seedland website is from my old golf course where I was Superintendent for 8 years. That was zenith zoysia not compadre. It was beautiful when we first grew it in, but it couldn't hold up to any traffic or wear, and was highly succeptible to disease. It's long gone now except for on the outer edges of the course. It's all been replaced with bermuda. I've heard others say that zenith has done well for them in lawns, but again, it's not going to match up with your emerald.

I would just try to grow it back in form the existing stand and sod in any large bare areas. Good luck

6. Patriot Services

You are correct on the texture, there is a slight difference. However the Compadre's color is a perfect match for Emerald. I have been experimenting with different grasses. People in Florida are looking for an option to chinchbug feed (SA). Zenith is crap, it's the Bahaia of Zoysia's. Splicing in fresh sod pieces are probably the most fool proof repair in this case. A soil test and and any necessary correction will go a long way too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The pic in my avatar is Emerald Zoysia. I love that stuff. Bare areas are no problem. After a month of greenup, HEAVILY aerate, then rake some cores into the dead areas. Fertilize heavily. Skip cuts on the affected areas for a few weeks... Or more, as emerald zoysia is not as fast a mover a something like 419 bermuda, etc.

8. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

If the areas are bad I think you would do better by just getting a pallet and prep and sod the dead spots then topdress the edges with topsoil and sand mix. just my .02

9. MeandMyself

MeandMyself LawnSite Member
    from GA

I have to go with FLC on this one. Just make sure potential of freezing temps are done. Emerald seems to be pretty sensitive before taking solid root in my experience.

10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

To flc and mm... Wait til frozen temps???? You mean wait until it greens up. In nc, I bet that's long after april 1st.

That would be ridiculous to sod in Emerald Zoysia in bare spots... When it's planted in full sun, like the poster says it is, it is NOT hard to heal in. Spot sodding only makes a mess in my opinion... Ie, raised edges, ugly, hard to maintain.

To answer your pm coach, make sure it doesn't need lime... Do your regular wake up fert with iron at first sign of greenup... Then wait until it's kind of vigorous before you aerate the hell out of it... Then fert with a high, aggressive amount of nitrogen. Make sure to keep extra water on it when you do this... as it will use all you can put on it short of saturation.

In the future falls, dont rake over zoysia. The dormant thatch doesn't like that kind of agitation. Use blowers.