Damaged Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qps, Jul 7, 2005.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

This is a question for companys will mutliple employees, how do you handle employees that damage your equipment??? I have one that has over the past three years done alot of damage to my trailer's, etc.....

2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lower his pay, eliminate his bonus or fire him.

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I've talked with a few guys around here, and the best approach I like is the first time you damage something, the company will pay for it. the next time you damage the same thing, it comes out of your check. Kind of the one warning system.
    if they never are held accountable for the damage, there's no reason for them to stop doing it!

Personally I am solo, so I have no direct experience how this would work though, so take it for what it's worth.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats illegal to with hold part of a pay check. Your written policy should read that they will be required to replace items that they damage due to neglect.

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Start with the basics. You need some type of "Employee Policy" (covering these things) that each employee gets a copy of and signs a statement that they have read it, understand it and accept those terms. Keep that signed statement in his/her employee file. Without this format in place, as much of a hassel as it is, you could end up being sued by the jerk employee.

Not legal advise, just a suggestion learned from years of these problems......

Jim

6. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Have a written policy in place on all most everything else but never added a damage clause....I know accidents happen but man it gets old fixing (or paying to have it fixed) my trailer....what happened is he backed the dump truck into the trailer ( I watched him) and broke the jack handle shaft....this is a 14k trailer and he hit it hard.....I don't think he even looked before he started backing out...It also had a kubota tractor on it (so it was kinda hard to miss) jack has to be cut off and a new one welded on...cost $200.00..he also pulled the plug off the trailer last month but not un-hooking it before pulling away.....just getting old....this dry weather doesn't help either :)

7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

We just kill them and bury them behind the shop. It's a great motivating incentive for the other employees.

8. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

Correct, illegal to withhold his pay. To me as long as it wasn't neglect it must be an assumed cost of doing business.

9. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

Someone posted awhile back that they use a bonus program. If I remember correctly he takes some percentage of their pay (2-5%) and puts it in a bonus pool. All damage is repaired out of this first, the rest goes to employees. This helps employees look after each other also. :)

10. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

DOES THE GUY DO GOOD WORK OTHERWISE ? HAVE YOU DOCUMENTED ALL THE PROBLEMS? ARE YOU THAT SHORT OF HELP THAT YOU CANT FIRE HIM ..... OR IS HE A RELATIVE :rolleyes: ?