damaging clients property and other questions..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by maui8, Dec 1, 2005.

1. maui8

maui8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

my first question is,

when trimming/mowing/etc.. near a clients fence, plants, etc....has there ever come a time where the trimmer line scratches the surface of something and damaged it etc...? if so, did your client complain and tell you are to pay for the damages?

if your equipment gets stolen or damaged by accident (some guy in his/her car crashes into your trailer) does your insurance company cover full?

if there is a time when you could not make it to the customer's house on a particualr date that both of you agreed upon, are you liable? or do you CYA in the contract. something like "if unforseen circumstances arises, so-so could not make it, so-so is not liable for ..." like would a customer ever say, hey buddy, you told me your coming to cut but didnt, not i deserve to get a free lawncut or ill sue" i know its extreme but im just wondering.

2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. It better! And yes. PR

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Commercial business insurance!
    Covers liability and equipment.
    Communication-- it covers problems with the customer

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Inland Marine insurance will cover equipment that YOU specify. It is in addition to your general liability insurance. You must specify the terms of this to your insurance agent and/or insurance company. Usually there is a deductible, specified by you, the policy holder.

However, IMHO its not worth insuring things under your deductible...or slightly above for that matter.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My policy covers stolen items as well as the whole trailer. For this reason my agent has a list of EVERYTHING that is on each trailer right down to hand tools. My deductible is $1000 so a stolen trimmer would not be covered but if the trailer was, or caught fire or something, I have over $6000 worth of stuff that standing alone would not be covered but all together need to be covered. As my enclosed trailers sit fully stocked, the whole unit would cost almost $35000 to replace. I would hate to have to put up $5000 for small stuff.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Interesting...I'm going to contact my insurance agent on this one to clarify this scenario.

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

maui8,

In dealing with damages be careful. There are people out there that will say that you damaged their property when in fact someone else did it (maybe even themselves). However, damages do occur and you will definitely want to be insured. There are many things to take into consideration. I know that you are starting next year from a previoius post. If you are using a personal vehical that is not registered and insured commercial to my knowledge most insurance companies will not cover it at all. Also, you will want to keep in mind that we are operating in NJ and there is a new statute that is going to be enforced as of Jan 1 06' dealing with Consumer Fraud. All Landscaping/Lawn Care Companies will need to be registered and receive a license number with the Division of Consumer Affairs. Min. Requirements is that you have to be a legit biz with min. 500k gen liab.

You are in my neck of the woods (actually right around the corner from me). I would be more than happy to offer you some do's and don'ts that I have learned around here.

8. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

I never promise a day of the week, when I talk to some one and they prefer friday or what ever I tell them there are no promises. and I attempt to accomidate as well as i can. which means at times I may be off tuesday or wed and work 10 hrs monday and 2 days later in the week