Damn Marlex!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

This will be redundant to a lot of you...lots of posts during the "skirmish"
    yesterday, but I think it deserves a thread we can send other questions to.
    Marlex ell..soft street ell to fit between swing joint & bottom of sprinkler body. It's used not only to provide absolute adjustment of plumb and level,
    but, most importantly...the only part of a irrigation system designed to fail!!!
    The softness will take a rock break while keeping the barbs or sch in swing
    joints intact, as well as the spinkler body. A "easy-out" can extract the Marlex, providing a cost effective repair. The cost is minimal (like
    10" & standard valve boxes) compared to the labor to repair. A colleague on
    this site had problems with cheep Marlex ells, but I've not w/Spears or Lasco.
    When heads are spotted along driveways, we "sleeve" the heads with 6" abs
    pipe, notched on the bottom & filled around the head with pea gravel, tho
    we've had them get hammered too! Marlex are not to be used on mainline
    because of the softness. One of those dinky things that make our trade easy.:clapping:

2. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

And please,
    stop caling me Marlex.

3. Mike Leary

I had a client tell me once (with a straight face), "you should hire more
    short people 'cause they're built closer to the ground":laugh:

What area in MN is your service area.....Lake Wobegone?

4. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I still wanna know what Garry Newman had against short people...heh!

Anoka Co....pop 400

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When I was just beginning to use Marlex ells, they weren't cheap. I could buy a popup spray body for about the price being (over)charged for a half-inch marlex ell. If an installer was only looking at the price of the few parts that made up the spray head install, marlex might have seemed like a luxury.

6. Mike Leary

I have the luxury now to not follow prices..but Marlex have never been cheap
    list used to be $2.88 for 1/2" & $3.25 for 3/4", cheep insurance tho!

OH..Happy birthday to our favorite bull......r, Eddie Haskel (Ken Osmond), he's 64..".your boots sure look shiney today Mr. Wet ".

7. Didn't Eddie become a cop? Marlex ells are one of our most used fittings in service. We run into A LOT of lines run right along the driveway which of course means busted tees. Repair always incude a couple of marlex ells and a swing joint. May try that pea gravel trick though.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We dug up a valve yesterday to replace the whole thing and it had the standard LA pea gravel and 11 bricks to make sure the box didn't sink. What a real PITA!:dizzy:

9. Mike Leary

Yass, you're right, I''ll suggest to Hank that he start using concrete (w/Marlex).:laugh: :eek:

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I'll start carrying some bricks and pea gravel to dump into boxes just to make it interesting for the next guy. :laugh:

Maybe I'll post pics from one site's lazy guy who wouldn't move the pea gravel to get at the manual actuator and loosened the solenoids to fire the valve. Then couldn't get the solenoids tight again because of the pea gravel. Work order stated "leaking box" as usual. And they wonder why we can see right through them? :dizzy: