damndelions and drive question.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kickin sum grass, May 3, 2004.

1. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how the results were on dandelions using only drive & methelyated seed oil? used it last year and it seemed to work ok. Used it this year before a seed job and it hardly touched a single one. Smoked the clover but not dandelions. Just curious on everyones experiences.

Nope can't put a 3way or confront in the mix cause it is before a seeding job. Thanks in advance.

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

to me drive is to expensive a product to justify using it on something as easy as dandelions.

If it were me (and it aint, but if it were) I'd do the seeding and come back after that new seed has germinated and been mowed at least 2 times and spray with a 2,4-D product. Or, if there aint a ton of them, spot spray with the 2,4-D product now and go ahead with the seeding...of course if you got so many that you need a blanket app, then yes, you need to seed first.

thats just my thinking...good luck

3. kickin sum grass

yes, way to many to seed first. All it was was clover and dandelions. I was just wondering other peoples experiences on how well drive worked on dandelions.

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

i gotcha

sorry, no experience with drive on dandelions

but maybe better to apply round-up in this situation?
    just a thought

5. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I use a drive quicksilver mix when I geta dirty yard for a new seeding. Very quick reseeding interval and great results. Drive seems tio work especially well on dandelions and bindweed.

6. golfmanres

golfmanres LawnSite Member

Had much better luck with momentum then with drive, Momentum has 2-4-d in it also. I would go with momentum over drive to smoke all the weeds. To spot spray use 1.5oz per gallon of water in a three gallon backpack sprayer.

7. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I agree -- for pure broadleaf control -- any 2-4d product works great. However, if you need grassy weed control or short seeding interal -- Drive is a good choice!

8. kickin sum grass

thanks for all the post. I am going to reapply the drive and try it again. This guy is getting charged 200 bucks a week from the hoa cause his lawn is so bad. Guess he will have to wait another week. I was disappointed in the performance of drive but thought it should have done better. It was a cloudy day and rained that night. I just needed verification and you all did good.

I thought round up too, but there was enough grass trying to grow thru the weeds I thought we could reduce the weed pressure, seed, get it growing and come back with a total weed kill after it was cut a couple of times. He also had crabgrass in it last year and was hoping it was up enough to kill it back before it took off.

Thanks again guys/gals