1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Damned if you do ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfdude, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Lately w/ all the rain we been receiving, its a feat in itself to keep up w/ one's mowing schedule! We have been able to do so up to date, however it is at a price. All of our accounts have soggy ground and many have areas under as much as 3" of water. Rutting is inevitable in areas. I've had a few clients express concerns over their properties, almost asking to skip a week for eveything to dry out. I personnally believe that w/ the amount of topgrowth we're experiencing that more damage would be done if we wait. Also, there is no guaranty that it will be dryer next week or even the following.
    Right now, we've been using the w/b's in place of the rider and standers in areas. There have been a few lawns where we either mow around some areas, or hit them w/ a trimmer.
    What have you guys been doing in these saturated areas??
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Same thing Bob...using the WB's where wet terrain is a concern. Labor expense killed me last week with all the double cutting and cleaning up cause of the rain. Now great, another 1/2 to 1 inch of rain for today too.:mad:
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I recently cut a few very wet yards.....didn't leave ruts, but certainly left tracks......here's a tip. I know it's wet, but stay with me...... One guy mowing, other one trimming, and the one who would be blowing (or another trimmer) grab the hose and quickly water the tracks, it's only mud brought to the top of the grass, watering it sends the mud back to the bottom, cleaning the grass, and looking almost as good as a dry cut. On one yard I even put out the sprinkler in one section( post-cut) and it cleaned off everywhere it reached. Try it, doesn't take too long, and the customers love the extra effort to leave their yard looking as good as possible under the wet circumstances. Hope this helps someone.

4. Mow all the ones who did not call.

It's a bottom line thing.
  5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"Also, there is no guaranty that it will be dryer next week or even the following."

That's a lesson I learned the hard way. Now I never think like that, just do everything that can be done now & fix it next time Mother Nature allows. I'm not her & I haven't found anyone who can accurately enough tell me what she's up to.

I don't do a lot of mowing anymore so we've been able to keep up with the schedule this year. However this week we did not mow a couple of areas at a couple of the yards due to high standing water, 2"-4" in those spots. Plan was to go back today to hit those couple of spots, but like Rodfather said, more rain. So we'll try to get them next week. Customers haven't made any complaints about conditions so far, they know it's been a wet spring and have been understanding of the difficulties.
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We wound up mowing over 120 properties Thursday & Friday. Thursday we had to start late cause it was still raining in the morning! We got all caught up and it rained again today all day!
  7. I consider the areas too soft to mow the customers' responsibility. I mow them if I can, or let them go until they get solid enough to mow.
    We've had the Toro 580-D stuck twice this year. Once was an oversaturated septic system. The other is a rain drain to a pond. It was broken down underground before it reached the pond. It turned the area to soup!
    This region is so wet that people around here understand the importance of grading for water shed, drain tiles etc. So I usually don't get too much grief about the wet spots.
    If they do complain I refer them to someone who can fix it.
    The ground won't turn to jello unless they just let it stand in water.
    Heck we mow two water collection basins. They've had up to 4 feet of water in them. You could see where drift wood etc. had been left up on the sides 4' high. But the water was gone by the time we got there. We just mowed them. One part still had water in it. There were even a couple of ducks swimming around in it.
  8. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

we've been mowing what we can and leaving alota lawns half cut or whatever. Some with mud tracks, there's nothing we can do next week will be just as bad.
  9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

mow em' or drop em' I have been explaining the brown tracks in the lawn until I'm blue in the face. My current line is " we are mowing in one of the most trying times since I have been in this business" I would ask for a little consideration that we are NOT damaging your lawn and we are keeping up with the outrageous growth. When the rain stops your lawn will return to normal conditions and the same quality cut we have given for years will return. I have no control over the weather. Or get someone else! traded up by dropping 2 customers already to take on two who felt grateful for our service.