1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dana 44 used axles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Expert Lawns, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have a pretty messed up front end right now. I need a whole axle housing for my Dodge. I need a used one but can't seem to find a Dana 44 3.55 ratio anywhere. New ones are way to expensive, and I'm not getting much help from the local shops. They don't seem to want to put the time into looking for one. Any suggestions?

I already checked ebay.
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Those are fairly common axles, you should be able to find one at a bone yard. I remember tripping over them at boneyards looking for other things. If that fails, try Currie, they'll build you any axle you want.
  3. Expert Lawns

The body shops all tell me the opposite. They say they're hard to find, especially used. But, like I said, I don't think they're trying too hard. What is Currie? Do they deal with used axles? Thanks
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Currie builds axles mainly for off road vehicles. They use ford 8.8, 9", Dana 44, 60, 70, etc. They are in the Detroit area. I had their number at one time, but I'd have to look for it. They build some nice, bulletproof stuff and may be able to fix yours, if it's feasible.
  5. Expert Lawns

My axle is fixable? Anything to get this thing fixed, it has been a few months and the truck is getting dangerous for the road
  6. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

what is wronge
    or is it not doing?
    what year?
  7. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

Try this website. http://www.fordtrucks.com . I know that you have a dodge but most older ford 4x4's came with those axles and there are alot of expereinced people who can help.
  8. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

9. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

So whats wrong with your axle. If you just need new gar go to a rear end shop or a 4x4 shop and they will be able to rebuild it in one day including gears, axles, bearings etc. Now it is badly bent......
    As far as the bone yards....around here you have to look for them but you can find them. The jeep guys are picking up all of them that they can find.