dandelion controll

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zippoz, May 16, 2005.

1. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

im wondering how effective the standard bags of fertiliser and weed killer are. i got a call yesterday from a customer wanting lawn service. looking at the locations almost every one is over run with dandelions, and they need to be taken care of.

i went over to home depot and found bags of 28-2-2 (dry fert) that do 15,000 sqf with broad leaf weed killer for around $30.

what im wondering is if these products from home depot will work, how many times i will need to apply them, and how much should i be laying down...

thank you

2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I'll be the bad guy this time -- it would not only be unethical but also illegal to give you information that would aid you in committing a crime by applying pesticides when you are not licensed.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If applied correctly (on wet grass) it might work. As stated above, It's not worth the hassle if you get caught (or reported). I would either sub contract, or worse yet, tell the homeowner how to do it right). The granular stuff must be applied to wet/damp grass for the herbicide to stick, and if the wrong amount or form of nitrogen (too much, or too fast) is put down, it will be mow city and possibly fungus problem this summer.

4. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

yeah i just looked over all of the legal issues involved with this, who knew that it would be illegal for me to put down ferts. if it was really a legal issue you think they woule say somthing when you buy it.... then again a whole bunch of hoome owners do it.....

but i dont reallly want to deal with the legal liability ionvolved....

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Zippo
    Just read the directions and you'll be like the one who are licensed .
    That's about the only difference ,.
    Oh , the arrogence , you wont have the arrogences caues you aren't licnesed , which is a good thing ...............
    No offense to those who are licensed and or arrogent .

6. marko

What suburbs do you service?

7. marko

Excellent input as usual :dizzy:

8. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

yeah ill read the direcitons. all of my locations but one are in cook county, after calling the cook county police i think that i am in the clear, theyy said that they did not think that i needed any licensing or registration for spreading the stuff i get from home depot. also i will be working in towns where i snow plowed this winter, and have on ocasion helped the police out with a tow or 2 in the icey days, clearing traffic and such.

9. marko

The police is the least of your worries. Department of Agriculture is the heat on this one. I service DuPage and Cook (Western Springs - Franklin Park area). I dont think you have a problem spreading Fertilizer only. Anything that has a pesticide in it you are supposed to be licensed. The way you will get busted is your competition driving by and seeing you and turning you in. Here is a link for the regs and stuff.

http://www.agr.state.il.us/Environment/Pesticide/pestuses.html

10. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

im just goin to be using bagged ferts with broadleaf killer from home depot... lets just hope it works. and also since it has to be applied to wet grass ill probably be putting it on in the pre-dawn hours.