dandelion invasion

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Keegan, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I picked up this account late last year and I think I put down one application of 123 and a fertilizer.
    The client had new sod installed last summer. (tiny lawn) which looks mostly KBG and is still somewhat dormant. There are some spots of powdery mildew mostly along the house and near some arborvitaes.
    I went there this morning and there are dandelions everywhere. i am assuming they were in the soil before the sod went down.

The soil test indicates OM at 4.9%
    pH 6.4, buffer ph 7.0, Ca 79.3%, CEC 6.9

What can I do to get rid of them?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Dandelions germinate all through the summer and fall. They are tiny plants that stay hidden in the grass and grow to the fruiting stage in the second year... Spot spray before they flower and produce next year's crop...

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Try some dandelion greens mixed in with a veggie salad....that, is, if you haven't sprayed or fertilized 'em yet! :)

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Fiesta Weed Killer works well, it will require 2 applications 3-4 weeks apart.

5. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

i just blanket sprayed a dandelion patch with 992 2 days ago and problem is pretty much solved

6. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

you italian?

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Nope! German-Irish ancestry.

My sisters & I grew up in a farm setting & every early spring, fresh dandelion greens were something every family member looked forward to.
    We've successfully passed that tradition on to our children.