Dandelion issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fine Lines, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Fine Lines

Fine Lines LawnSite Member

This time of year they are inevitable in a lot of yards just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems as me....
    Always seem to leave straglers of uncut dandelions when mowing and I'm slowing down,but still have em speckled throughout the yard either half cut or an occassional uncut one.I'm fairly new to doing this on a larger scale other than cutting my own yards and such,on my 2nd year,just curious if this is common or an issue that I'm just having.
    Keep the blades really sharp,actually just installed my 2nd new set and filed them a little sharper before installing and just finished a yard with the same results.They are high lifts,could this be the problem???
    It cuts the majority of em of course just not happy it leaving anything.
    Any other type of grass,weeds I've encountered it cuts beautiful with no problems and is striping great.
    Any ideas? And Thanks in advance.

2. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

this a very common thing with those crappy dandelions. there isnt much youcan do about it unless you spray them with a broadleaf spray to kill them for good. it does seem like this year is worse than most others though

3. AWR

AWR LawnSite Member

Here In Nj It Got Hot Real Fast And Sooner Than Most Years , I 've Spraying Them With Trimec Starting Last Week And They Already Starting To Curl Up And Die

4. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Is Trimec a restricted product ???

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. Anything but straight fertilizer is restricted.

You can make sure the blade is sharpened as close to the center of the blade as you can get it. My blades are sharpened within about 2 inches of the center hole and stringy weeds like dandelion, onion and Bahia are not a problem.

6. A lot of it's the brand of mower you're using. Some will cut off those dandelion stalks better than others.
    I cut a lawn yesterday and the dandelion fuzz was about an inch thick on the radiator grill. But it didn't leve one stalk. Too bad the mower's a loaner machine from my dealer. Nothing I own would have done that good of a job. It's a Toro 455-D. And the blades aren't at all sharp. I'm going to sharpen them this morning.

But don't worry too much about it. Dandelion season ain't that long.

7. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

did you say that the season is not that long, wow and all the seeds they are dropping when so they appear again?? You should try to talk your customer into getting her lawn sprayed so it will look better or look into becomming a licdened spplicstor like my self snd mote thsn judt s perdon who cut lawns ans weeds only the more services you offer the better.

8. Fine Lines

Thanks for responses,and PonyBoy I'm looking into buying a sprayer to mount onto the mower now,looking at getting one with the boom that folds out on each side.You guys have any reccomendations as far as that goes?
    Also is it simple to get your liscense?

Ya this Dixie Chopper does really well I'm happy with it other than this,and I was wondering same thing...

9. Fine Lines

Thanks for responses,and PonyBoy I'm looking into buying a sprayer to mount onto the mower now,looking at getting one with the boom that folds out on each side.You guys have any reccomendations as far as that goes?
    Also is it simple to get your liscense?

Ya this Dixie Chopper does really well I'm happy with it other than this,and I was wondering same thing...

10. Fine Lines

Spoke with Dixie Chopper service,he said to run a reverse pitch said they started doin this a while back and getting a better cut with the DC's.
    Gonna try this.