Dandelion problem and no pre-em or firt license!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ecoscape01, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers told me that his property is ridden with dandelions. I am don't have any certs for weed and feed. I read though that Cornmeal Gluten is a pretty decent organic pre-emergent and firtilizer and works well at gettin rid of those retched dandelions. I've also read here that some guys say that is just Hippy, Tree-huggin B.S. So what do you guys think. Also, for the Pa guys, is a cert required for organic stuff. i was lookin on the Pa Dept of Ag website and all I found were requirements for pesticides and herbicides but I didn't see anything about organic. Any info.....suggestions?

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Its my understanding that any organic or chemical application for any sort of weed control requires a license.

Might think about sub contracting the weed control. Have you taken a look at what the requirements are for PA?

3. Ecoscape01

I did but like I said I didn't see anything about organic products......I'll look into it further.......what about power-rake/dethatching......is that something to consider in addition to a chemical or organic treatment?

4. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

A power rake or detacher is going to get rid of some of the top growth that you see but roots will still be there and the weeds will be back in a week.

RCGM
    Brad

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You are gonna want to call your insurance company also to tell them you do fertilizing now as well. Here in Ohio they wont even release the license to you until you have the insurance to cover the fertilizing. And the rates are gonna go way up, because fertilizing is seen to them as a higher risk due to spills, etc

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes you have to just step back and say no,but tell them you have a company that will take care of it.

7. Ecoscape01

Ya I'm not gonna spray it myself......what I meant was should I dethatch it for them before I sub out to have it sprayed or will the dethatching be pointless?

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definatly dethatch it before having chemicals applied. The thatch layer will cut down on the effectiveness of the chemical. With no thatch, the chemical will be able to penetrate the soil more effectivley and work much better

9. Ecoscape01

Thanks for the help.........any other suggestions?