dandelion wars again

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by AlpineNaturescapes, May 2, 2006.

1. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

been spot spraying with speedzone, but the buggers keep coming up - because of logistics, it is very difficult for me to spray pre-ems in the spring. Anyone spray a pre-em in the fall which seems to keep out the dandelions in the spring? I would assume your major choices are pendimethelin, prodiamine, or isoxaben.

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I blanket spray my lawns with Three-way in the fall. This eliminates blooming dandelions in the spring.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

This year I am blanket spraying with 3-way for my first two applications, it seems to be making a huge difference. Out of nearly 400 clients I have only had 2 call to complain that weeds were a problem, and in one case it rained right after the application so I told them to call me in 2 weeks if any weeds were not dying.
    I start my second round of applications today and will hit them all again. As far as pre-ems go I really like prodiamine.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Thats an awful lot of herbicide back to back. I like to give a a few months in between blanket apps. Hope your lawns are good and healthy.

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if its a new customer they may need the back to back weed-control applications but my lawns that have had service for a few years don't get many weeds in the spring. I just spot treat and then blanket spray in the fall.

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I agree..the lawns with the biggest problems are those that were put up in a nasty way last year. Thick lawns are the best line of defense, with most from regular programs just sporting a few in the edges. New customers need to have realistic expectations and be thinking about improvement each time until the lawn gets healthy, instead of magic wand thinking that one spray will solve all their problems. D-lions are having a banner year with the wet spring in this area and even high profile lawns that I've never seen them in before are sporting a few yellow heads, so just keep plugging at them, maybe blanket instead of spot, so that you can get newly emerging ones that aren't obvious to you for spot treating and work on getting full programs from the complainers instead of one time shots. By the way, can anyone show me dandelions listed on a preemergent target label?

7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I believe Gallery will control dandelions, but its pricey.

8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you don't need to use the high priced herbicides to control dandelion's, anything with 2-4D will do the job!

9. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

I've decided I like Speedzone as an April spot app for several reasons so it seems worth the cost. I will probably go with a blanket app of Weedar or a 3 way amine in May- depending on the weeds. By the way 2 blanket apps of a 3 way will be your 2-4-D blanket app limit for the year per all the labels. Gallery does have dandelions on the label but it is only moderately effective against them - it does help on thick lawns, but as mentioned is very pricey. I was wondering of others' experience with prodiamine and dandies, if applied in spring or fall.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Blanket in the fall, and again in late spring. This eliminates about everything. As far as the guys using Speedzone for everything, that's a little pricey for me.