dandelions didn't die.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Doster's L & L, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I used Trimec Classic, its a 3-way that has 2,4-D, dicamba, and mcpp in it as ai. I started in mid feburary with my applications, my sprayer was calibrated and i thought all was going to do well. The requirements are 1.25-1.5 oz/k so i used 1.35oz. After 2 weeks, the onions were drooping and the other broadleaves were curling. Now over a month later, the dandelions are yellow and ready to seed out. They have been affected by the herbicide because they are shorter and kinda stubby. Well, the stalk for the seed head is shorter and thicker. Also, the onions seem to be coming back to life. I thought Trimec Classic was more residual than this. What's going on? Thanks for your help!!

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

What was the tempature when you sprayed? Esters work better in the cold.

3. Doster's L & L

It was in the 40's maybe low 50's Fah.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

A little too cool for uptake of amine based formulation. You'd better reapply.

5. Doster's L & L

I see what you're talking about. In the A.I. list, it mentions Dimethylamine for each of the a.i.'s. If a product were an ester, would it read dimethylester or just ester or what?

What product do you recommend that i use in early feburary for broadleaf? I've heard the trimec 992 is pretty good. Is this an amine or ester? Thanks for the help!

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas works well... but if you want to save the grass that might be a bad idea :p

7. Doster's L & L

This is a real thought provoking statement.... Yeah, i wasnt really wanting a burn down effect in the lawns i do. Just wanted a few unwanted weeds to die. Thanks for the help though.

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: did it rain soon after the app. go with the super trimec or 3 way ester from lesco. tony

9. Doster's L & L

nah, no rain. To tell you the truth, a week after i sprayed this particular lawn, i sprayed another one and it rained the next morning. I got some really quick results from the onions and other weeds. maybe the rain washed the dicamba down to the roots. I didnt expect anything would die after the rain.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like you may have just jumped the gun a little bit for the dandelions, and their uptake wasn't where it should been when they were treated. They have to be actively growing to be able to take in the product.