dandelions won't die!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by deepgrass, Apr 16, 2004.

1. deepgrass

deepgrass LawnSite Member

I've spot sprayed twice with Ortho Weed B Gone. The first time nothing happened so I sprayed again about a week later. Now I have spots in the yard where the grass is dead but not the dandelions! They are wilted, but not dead, and are even now spreading their evil spawn all over my yard. I mixed about 4 oz. per gallon, IIRC, and the temperatures were in the range of upper 50's to lower 60's. I'm in central Missouri and have a fescue and bluegrass lawn. I would say it appears as though the bluegrass was affected to a higher degree than the fescue. What can I do to get rid of these evil weeds from hell? BTY, my kids love these "pretty little yellow flowers", maybe they are somehow sabotaging my efforts?

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic (2,4-D) is the active ingrediant in Weed B Gone. It is probably the preferred choice for killing established dandelions. Even with 2,4-D dandelions are tough to control in the early spring. The effectiveness increases later on.

I would just go with the mixture ratio published in the instructions, but you may want to add a surfacant, or spreader sticker. These additives help the chemical to adhere or coat the surface of the weeds better. Check the label on what your using to see if it already has it included.

Try to give the chemical time to dry before watering, and be persistant. A warmer spell would help.

2,4-D generally is safe to spray over grass, but at recommended rates. If you're using a sprayer that has been used by other chemicals you could have problems, such as killing grass.

3. Green & Clean

Green & Clean LawnSite Member
    from Utah

An additional note to what Critical Care has stated. Use the mixture ratio in the instructions. A "stronger" solution is NOT better. A stronger solution may cause damage/death to the surfaces it is applied to before the herbicide can move throughout the entire plant. The herbicide must have time to travel to all areas of the plant to kill it. Have you considered dandelion wine or salads instead?

4. Fireman D

Fireman D LawnSite Member

You could mix in a little corn syrup with your 2-4 D and it will stick a little better to the weeds.

5. Mfinley919

Mfinley919 LawnSite Member

Wow, what is wrong with some plain old Scotts weed and feed fertilizer? Dandelions are just plain old broad leaf plants which are the simplist of any weed to get rid of. Lay down some Scotts, kill the few that sneak by it and enjoy your dandelion free lawn.

In 3 homes in the last 10 years I have never had dandelions past the first year we bought the home. Put down the Scotts in the early spring each year, by the 2nd or the latest the 3rd year you will never see another dandelion.

6. deepgrass

Critical Care, Green and Clean: Thanks for the replies, I'll try again when warmer. Also I drenched them pretty good the second time. Maybe too much of a good thing?

Mfinley919: I applied the Ace Hardware brand of ween-n-feed several weeks ago. Hasn't done any good yet near as I can tell.

7. Mfinley919

Mfinley919 LawnSite Member

Ace hardware and Scotts weed and feed are 2 different products, so I don't see what applying Ace hardware's version has to do with it.

Dandelions are the minor leagues when it comes to weeds. A shot of Weed be Gone and they die in a few days, but to keep new ones from coming up you need a pre-emergent. That's why doing it in the spring each year will mean less and less, plus as your lawn gets thicker it stops them from coming up also.

Logic says you are doing something to sabatoge yourself, because dandelions are just not that hard to get rid of. Make sure you are following the instructions in regard to watering and how soon it rains after application. It just isn't rocket science to kill a dandelion.

8. deepgrass

Maybe the dandelions growing in my yard are from seeds that blew in from near the Callaway nuclear plant. I haven't noticed the yard glowing at night though. I will try pre-emergent. Sounds like it's essential for the long term.

9. squig_2000

squig_2000 LawnSite Member

deepgrass, I got the Scott's weed and feed from Lowes and applied it 2 weeks ago, seems to be working very well, still haven't had any pop up yet even though the neighboors yard is full of them.

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, Mfinley919, both Ace and Scotts version of weed and feed quite likely could contain the same active ingredient, 2,4-D. Scotts has a number of various types of weed and feeds, many with contain 2,4-D. Ace carries various brands of weed and feed which also have 2,4-D in them.

It could be that the two versions of weed and feed are very similar. Can't judge a book by it's cover - ya' gotta look at the active ingredients in these witches brews.