1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

dandies!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by springover, Apr 16, 2008.

1. springover

springover LawnSite Member

This new to me account was still dormate when I applied Pre-emerg on 3/26.

I went to mow and there are dandilions everywhere, what happened?

How do I explain to my contact what is happening as well.

Help!!!

Thanks

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

You expected a pre-M to stop dandelions? That's why we charge for post emergent apps.... OK, here it comes.... you can't possibly be certified if you are this clueless, can you?

Back off my high horse.... pre-M's attack the germination process of crabbgrass seeds, as well as many other less significant annual weeds... dandies are bi-annuals. Do you underdstand the difference?

3. Hoots

Hoots LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Best way I see is to explain "I don't know what I am doing, I will contact a licensed professional to sub out the chemicals".

It is always best to tell your "contact" that you will not B.S. them. If you don't know what to do, find someone who does know, that is your job. If you do B.S. them along, eventually it can come and bite you in the rear. Apparently it has bitten you already and it did not even take 1 month.

4. springover

yeah...I'm an idiot...I am learning as I go here. I'm fully legal, unfortunately my degree is in comm arts not agri.

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Easy Whitey! Close your eyes and breathe deeply...:laugh:

6. springover

Im not trying to B.S. anyone. this is the reason I'm trying to get info to relay to them.

7. Hoots

from DFW

Fully legal? Do you have a pesticide license?

Just because you have a degree in Horticulture or Agriculture does not automatically allow you to apply chemicals. You with a degree in Comm Arts are allowed to apply chemicals if you take and pass the state licensing test.

Again, look at my first quote. "I don't know what I am doing, I will contact a licensed professional to sub out the chemicals".

8. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

No disrespect but if you don't know the answer you probably shouldn't be applying anything to any lawn anywhere. So to encourage you on the right path of weed control..... read your label. Understand what a pre- emergent does and what a post-emergent is for. You will have your answer and will know what to tell your client. You really should have a basic knowledge on this stuff before you put yourself out for hire.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Actually Whitey.....Dandelion is a perennial not a bi-annual! :laugh:

10. Hoots

from DFW

I like your diplomatic response. Sorry, I get so worked up sometimes when there are people asking questions here that took me 4 years of college, state testing, 5 CEU's every year (which by the way is one entire day of lecturing) to keep the license current, and years of in the field experience learning while assisting those that know. These people get answers in 5 minutes.

I am not the only one that has done these things to get where I am today and I know others have had it much harder than I have. I have been lucky.