1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dane dealers/Deere Dealers

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by Phishook, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Just passing my thoughts.

I was about 25 miles from home at an account mowing. I blew an idler pulley. Bummer.

I'll just run over to this Deere dealer to get the part, it's only 20 miles from here.
    When I got there, I asked for 2 idler pullies for a GD 61" Chariot.

His reply was kind of funny, "For a what? We just carry JD."

They had at least 5 setting outside!

Ended up having some one else look up the parts, and no they didn't have "any" GD parts in stock. They did offer to order them for me, but I had to decline, I needed them 45 min. ago.

I then left and back tracked that 20 miles plus another 50 miles to My normal GD dealer. They had both pullies, new my name, and asked how my little boy was doing. (he was only in there once, about a month ago)

It would be nice if these farm equipment dealers were like that.
  2. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Surfer I bought two years ago. It's been my first "real" commercial ztr and has served me fairly well with minimal breakdowns, although I only have about 300hrs. on my machine, which is very well cared for. I do not anticipate buying another Great Dane for a few reasons:

1) Poor dealer support
    2) Poor dealer support
    3) Poor dealer support

It takes three acts of God and two acts of Congress to get the most simple parts. It's always "I don't THINK we have any, I'll order it, it SHOULD be in sometime next week, we'll call you when it comes in. Last time I got this when I needed a tire, a week later I went in and nobody knew anthing about it-I asked the owner somewhat kiddingly (but serious as well) when he was going to start stocking some parts for my mower. Turns out they had tires all along-no one ever looked! When my spindle bearings went out, and I had to wait several days, and then they got the old (wrong) ones in, there was no offer of a used or demo machine to catch up on my properties, not even for a day. Mind you this is a fairly large dealership with a lot a new and used machines around. I have spent a lot of $ at this dealer (Lee's in New Haven-I'm not sure if your close to Fort Wayne or not) they are the only dealer in about 50miles of me. Their nice people, but that just dosen't cut it (excuse the pun). Next time I will do my homework on the service/parts end before I make my next major purchase-it will be a big factor... Live and learn
  3. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. I believe it’s important to know and learn everything you can about the “customer”. I’m excited to hear we have a Great Dane dealers like this out there. I’m certain you will continue to do business with this dealer. As for the Deere dealer not having the parts you need, we do run independent of Deere. If the Deere dealer were not set-up as a dealer for Great Dane, he would not have access to Great Dane parts.

Have a nice day!

John Joensen