Dane Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, May 29, 2005.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Funny thing happened today. I was doing a search for "Scag" and I found a posting for Dane Scag. Nah--couldn't be. I sent him an email and guess what? It is him.
    I mentioned lawnsite and invited him to join. I hope he does. I'm sure he's got a wealth of valuable info and probably some advice too.

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

It'd be nice to hear some stories from one of the guys partiallty responsible for develloping the kind of equipment most of us use today.. :D

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You mean how he back stabbed so many people. He stole about half of his so claimed ideas. :angry: Any body who is in RD of lawn mowers know that. He has been taken to court many times over stolen ideas. I could even begin to list them. The first stolen idea lawsuit he lost was to Wright. He stole the stander idea and built the Great Dane surfers.

4. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

How true, how true!! Think that law suit was a big reason for Great Dane being bought out by JD

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Geez can't someone joke? :D Yeah, I'm pretty sure JD bought out GD to bail them out of trouble, and to get there hands on the Surfer design.

6. Tharrell

Try not being so harsh. I don't know all the facts and you probably don't either. You're talking about recent history, I'm talking about the developement of Bob-Cat back in 1972. If you want to bash the guy, start your own thread.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't knock Itsgottobegreen. He may be a bit harsh but he is quite accurate where the GD Surfer is concerned. Dane Scag may have pioneered pumps and motors but Bill Wright conceived and patented the Stander.

Oldtimer

8. Tharrell

I'm not concerned with any of that because only Mr Scag and Wright know all the facts. There's entirely too much bashing on this site. Deserved or not, it's not productive. I don't think Wright needs anybody to stand up for them. I enjoyed exchanging emails with Mr Scag. He's 86 years old and I think he's a wealth of information. I hope we converse some more.

I won't give out his email even though it's on the web if you look for it. I can say however, he lives in Clearwater, Fl.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I met the owner of JRCO, once, as well, at a show. Very nice guy. I hear te guy fro Permagreen id alright, but the say that Tom from Z Spray is just awesome to work with. I talked to him on the phone one day, and he pretty much told me, he'd build anything I'd want him to. If I wanted a Lesco hopper, then Lesco it would be.