1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dane v. cub comm.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell, Aug 14, 2001.

1. jbell

jbell LawnSite Member

The best dealer in town sells great danes and cub commericals. He has the Chariot Jr. w/ 17 Kaw and 48" for $6,150 and a Cub Commercial w/ a 19 Kaw and 48" for $5,600.

Which is the better deal, the dane or the cub?
  2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Best deal will be the better unit for you.

Make sure you demo both units and inquire about parts availability.

Chuck Keough
  3. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

I'd lean toward the Dane. I've used their products and they're excellently engineered and very well built. ..just my $.02=)
  4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

will this be for just your house or planning to do this for extra money . demo both and go with what you like
  5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you better go out of town. I just bought a Great Dane Chariot 61" w/25 Kawasaki (my second one) and paid $350 more than your deal. You better negotiate some more. Don't even consider the cub unless you are just doing your home.
  6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend who use's only Dane stuff, and it looks good and operates ok too. I would have to stick with the Dane. It will hold up better and longer, and help with production time as you have more accounts. And yes, shop the price or start dealing with them. This fall you should get a good deal as they will want to move the stuff for next years models.
  7. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Lawn DOG

Do you have personal experiences with the CUB Commercial units?

If you don't then dont knock it. CUB commercial is designed for commercial use.. NOT just a homeowner for their own personal property.

Not picking on you directly but I am sick of people knocking on a product just because of a rumor or personal dislike just because you don't use it.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

9. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, our local dealer sells lots of them. And I can say with confidence that I would not recommend owning one. I have had a lot of exposure to this mower. But there is a mower for everybody. If you are a Cub Cadet guy then good for you. Amen
  10. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a great dane chariot jr. a month ago . the dealer told me that dane had ran out of 17 horse units for this year.. he said they were selling the 19 horse units for the same price as the 17 dane also has lowered there price on these units 300.00 i got a 48" 19 horse unit for 5695.00 the dealer also has the chariot with a 25 horse and a 52" deck for 6695.00 which i think i a good price too. as to compare the 2 units i dont knoow anything about the cub. i have only seen a pic of one.. i do know the dane is a very well built machine, very rugged, also very fast. it will run a lot faster than you could ever mow with it.. i have too agree with the others you need to demo both units (as well as others) to find out what is right for you...