Dang Bees again!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jpp, Aug 30, 2006.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Well, up above says it all. I got stung again today. This time alot worse than before. Major swelling around the ankle and behind the knee. The ankle is more swollen now than when I sprained it in May.

Looks like it is time to get a license for extermination. Is it me or are the bees horrible this year?

JP

2. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

where were you and what were you doing ie trimming mowing ect...

i havnt yet been stung but ive had some close calls

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I was mowing. It was my second pass along a sidewalk. So I was probably about 8 feet in off of the sidewalk.

You better be knocking on some wood for good luck now that you mentioned you have not been stung. :waving:

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

happened to my brother a few years back. Was being pulled behind the WB with the jungle jims...I don't know what made me look over but I did just in time to see him jump off the mower and starter running away flailing his arms this way and that. He was okay and so was the mower. It actually went over the front walkway and hit a andromeda takinhg out one of the lower limbs before it died.

So those landscapers that tape the safety's down cause its annoying....we would have trimmed the entire front landscape a little closer than the clients liking:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. greeneyes

greeneyes LawnSite Member

I get stung at least a couple times every year. My problem is that I'm allergic. Carry 2 EPI pens all the time. In early June got stung on a spring clean up & had my partner drop me off at the ER (happened around 5 pm), he went on to do my 2 surveys that night (Haha). I usually spend about 2-3 hrs in the ER. Heart monitor, IVs. That nite they had residents in training & I explained more to them than the Drs did. Never had breathing problems but I look like a giant lego block because of hives. The itching is INTENSE in EVERY area! Anyway, go back to the job the next day. End of day, packing up all the tools & decide to hit one more spot before I go. 2 up the pant leg. Luckily, I was so pumped up with steroids, etc. that I just hit the EPI again & mega dosed the Benadryl & called it a day. Knock on wood, been good since then. But, at the end of every season, I swear, they know they're gonna die, cause they get mean & come back in mass numbers!

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't seen a single bee this year, its really odd. What I have seen though, are lots of yellow jackets and wasps.

7. Kingram10

Kingram10 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Same here very few bees but lots of Big Yellow jackets,The homeowner emptied two cans of wasp spray into a bush and they still kept going into that bush and the next day still there. Lowes has wasp spray on sale for 1.97 starting thursday.

8. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I haven't been stung in 3 years, but my helper got stung on the arm by a single yellow jacket Tuesday afternoon.

By Wednesday morning, his entire lower arm and hand were severely swollen to the point he couldn't completely close his fist. He intended to go ahead and work but it's rained for 2 days here so he's getting a good break while he gets over it.

9. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here I don't think I have seen a bee anywhere not out in the garden or while in the yard playing with my daughter nothing. I was thinking maybe they where becoming extinct. Did bump a post the other day that had about 50-100 yellow jackets on it though. No stings though my reflexes are pretty quick and I can run really really fast. only been stung once ever in my life and I was in second grade and was getting on the monkey bars to do something stupid I looked back to tell my friend to watch and when I slammed my hand down on the bar. Ouch no more be except what was left of his stinger in my hand.So I guess I stung him more than he stung me.

10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I get stung once or twice a year, par for the course, fairly uneventful.

However today I was blowing leaves out of some vinca minor on an steep embankment and stepped directly on a nest. Felt that familiar sharp bite below my knee, then another on my hand, then another....Ut oh - alarm bells began to go off!

Due to the steep embankment and the fact I had the 8000 on my back I couldnt get out as quick as Id like to have had (I wasnt about to ditch a $ 500 + blower down a hill)...Anyhow I came running up the embankment dropping the blower, shedding ear protection, tearing off my sweat shirt etc. running toward the employee running the other blower gesticulating wildly like a madman...he got the idea real quick and pointed the tube of the blower in my direction.

I counted 12 stings in all. The 4 on the top of my head and the one on my ear - were bloody painful- honestly some of the worst pain I have experienced in a quite a while. (Of course the one time I need to use the first-aid kit in the truck - the Benadryl is gone - and nobody knows where it went!)

Now when I hear or read of tales of those who have been stung repeatedly, I have a new found respect for their pain.

Everything that got stung swelled up - and now I itch all over! Still no Benadryl!

Damn bees!