Dang cold froze me up!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I went out this morning to start my mowers up and the throttle cable on my Exmark was frozen solid.

I checked the overnight low and it had gotten down to 24.8 degrees. Brrr.

It looks like this machine will be spending the night in the shop from now on.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, we got our first frost last night. Its 27 in the deep south! This is way too early for this kinda crap! I plugged my truck up last night, that was a first. At least it's warm.

Homer

3. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

It was 19 this morning when I got up. Man...........

All the leaves are frozen to the ground and gutters. That is what doesn't have the snow from Sunday still on them.

I HATE THE COLD WEATHER> I just want to work.

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

The choke cable on my Lazer froze also. Little WD-40 and working it back a forth finally broke it loose.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It was 27 here at my house and a few of the rural areas were down near 20. Wowww :eek: We've got some low areas around that run 14 degrees cooler than in town, yet are only 4 miles apart. But 20's are cold for this area in November.

[Edited by Keith on 11-22-2000 at 08:47 PM]

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It was 13 out west of Chicago, still waiting for all the snow to melt off the leaves. Sounds like I might get back to work Friday or Saturday when it gets above freezing. :)

7. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

RICH,

WAS A FROSTY 18 DEGREES THIS MORNING IN NORTHWEST OHIO. I STARTED UP MY WALKER TO MOVE IT AROUND THE GARAGE BUT MY GARAGE IS ALSO HEATED. I'M FINISHED CUTTING FOR THE SEASON AND DAMN GLAD OF IT. JUST TOO BLASTED COLD TO BE OUT ON A MOWER. ARE YOU DONE CUTTING OR ARE YOU STILL AT IT? TIME TO RELAX AND GET NEW BUSINESS READY FOR NEXT SEASON.
    TRY THE WD-40 OR SOME TRI-FLOW ON YOUR CABLES.

GOOD LUCK,
    Mowman

8. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

just checked the weather and its 19 degrees out! glad im inside. now all we need is some snow... happy thanksgiving!

9. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Hey, Richard my Snapper Hydro had the same problem, with alittle help it broke free, 24 degrees at 8AM here in Baltimore MD.
    Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Mowman wrote:

<b><i>ARE YOU DONE CUTTING OR ARE YOU STILL AT IT?</b></i>

I haven't actually cut any grass in 3 weeks. I installed a mulching kit on the mower and mulch the leaves down with it.

Jerrys Lawn Service wrote:

<b><i>24 degrees at 8AM here in Baltimore MD.</b></i>

How ironic, I'm 25 miles south of you and had the same temperature.