Dang, Skipping lawns already. Too dry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Jun 20, 2005.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Man, I skipped a few lawns last week due to severe dry spell we are having, but today I cut 4 out of 15. That sucks!! I been doing this 6 yrs and havent ever seen it dry out this soon in the year. I am praying for rain. Is anyone else the Ohio region having this problem yet? A lot of my lawns are toast already. Well , I guess I have to take the bad years with the good.

Lasher

2. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Lasher,

It's been dry here in Baltimore as well. No good rain for at least 2 weeks. Lawns are slowing down but still growing a little. My helpers on vacation this week so I'll have enough for me. A few small projects thrown in so I'll be good for a week or two more. We need rain bad though.

Paul

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

crispy here also need water

4. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

The Chicagoland area is dry lawns a brown mowing about every two weeks for the ones that dont water.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Target commercial properties.

6. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

Getting nice and toasty here in Pittsburgh!

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I cut them all a half inch higher last week (might have been an inch can't remember) it was at 3.5 or 4" last week, no one noticed and the accounts are still nice and green, just had to wait an extra day.

Good time to advertise for mulch and shrub trimming to make up for it incase we get a bad year :D

8. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Burning up in Iowa also. Had some rain heading at us tonight and it fizzled out before it got here. I'm going every 10 days on some. I'll squeeze out every single mow that I can out of everyone. Luckily I have 50% of my account that have sprinkler systems.

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

been a good run up until this week. looks like a visit from MR. SKIP

10. Local_LawnZ

Local_LawnZ LawnSite Member

No flames intended, it hits every one of us. It sucks but bet you run into a wet spell that sucks worse yet by the end on July. I'm not a clairvoyant, just a regular ol' lawn man....

Someone should get those old 70's "Don't fool with Mother Nature" margarine ad's up on WMV format. Heck, it's probably out there...

Nature of the beast, so to speak. Rack up the double cuts coming and try to balance out.

Best to ya.

BTW Lasher, Lived here in central Ohio all my life. Without breaking board rules I'll simply say SH. I know your dilemma but my area's doing fairly well still. Again, best to ya, hope my situation runs status quo.
    Hope yours gets the rain we could all use a litlte of...