dang spreader problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Guthrie&Co, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

I hope you can help me out here. I have a electric spreader from jrco. i have recently had to install a new motor on the dang thing.
    here is the link to the parts drawings
    http://jrcoinc.com/images/pdfs/501spreader.pdf

i think i have the wires installed just as they show. but there is no variance in the speed control ( it just goes wide open) and it keeps blowing fuses. do you have any guidance in this matter.
    thanks in advance
    Daniel Guthrie

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

looks to me like a direct plug in so i see no way you can screw it up. maybe the speed and switch box is bad

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with hole in one, Looks pretty cut n dry.....The only thing left is the speed controller.

4. Guthrie&Co

from nc

They did sell me the correct motor so i know that is right. however i did a little trouble shooting, i disconnected the negitive wire off of the switch and grounded it to the casting, i also grounded the negitive wire coming out of the motor itself. it ran, but it imideatly had power and would not turn off unless it was unpluged. it did not blow a fuse. so this leads me to think that the variable speed control is bad.

I am thinking that the speed control isnt offering any resistance thus causing the fuse to blow and full power to the motor and no variance. does this sound logical or am i completly full of it?

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what i came up with . Thats why i said look at the control box

6. Guthrie&Co

from nc

Anyone know where i can pick up one of these speed controls?

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Did you try where you got the motor from ? Can't you contact the company where you got the break-down ?

8. Guthrie&Co

from nc

i am sure i can get the part fropm jrco but from what i had to pay for the motor i am not to sure i want to pay for the switch