Dang ut! NOrthern Landscapers Look Here

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by polecat63, Mar 14, 2005.

1. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Dang it! I posted this over in no mans land when I meant to post it here.....

Hi all, got a call from a client that I installed a row of arborvitae for last year. Seem the tips have turned brown. I've noticed many of the evergreen in this area have the same problem and I'm hoping it was just our unusually cold/long winter. The temp here were 15-20 degrees below normal for much of the winter, the coldest winter here in probably 15 years or so. Is this a problem any of you are familiar with or will I be replacing some trees?

2. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I saw your other post. I think it is tip blight. You should remove those dead tips. It will keep spreading to the rest of the junipers that you planted. I believe this is not your fault so if you have to replace any of the trees you should not pay to replace them.
    just my opinion. I hope it helps.
    Gil

3. polecat63

Thanks gil. Sorry for the double post!! The client had installed spot light at the base of each tree. They were roasting one side of the tree!!

4. gil

gil LawnSite Member

is it the browning evenly distributed around the tree? If that is the case I am still thinking about tip blight.
    if the Browning is in just one side(the side facing the light pole fixture)it is probably root damage. You said in your other post the spot light installed was at 18". I think that is too far for the tree to get toasted.
    I don't think you have to bring in new plants if the damage was caused by the spot lights because it is not your fault.

5. polecat63

These are high intensity spots designed for stuff like lightnibg a sign or something. I turned them on and the heat was very intense even after just a few seconds. The browning patern matches the light patern so I'm certain that is the major part of the problem. The browning is not over the entire tree, just on the side of the lights. Roots were not damages since they would not have grown out that far in such a short period of time.

6. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I don't think it will make sense for you to replace any of those trees because they will have the same problem once you put new ones. Just let the customer know.

7. polecat63

The trees are still alive and the damage does not seem to be severe. The were told to stop using the lights and they would not be replaced at my expense.

8. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I hope this will have a happy ending.