1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dang Weathermen!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Aug 29, 2006.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I know it's probably due to Ernesto's projected path, but the forecast for the next week has changed 5 times in the last hour!!! There is no way I can plan my mowing schedule so I guess I'm screwed.

On all of those weather web sites, why don't they just replace the little pictures of clouds, sun, rain, and lightning with one simple big question mark ????:confused: That way we can guess on our own.

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

It's too easy to do something simple like that. This morning on 2 local TV stations they had 2 different forecasts for the rest of the week.

3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

It must be nice to have a job, be so wrong so frequently, and still remain employeed.......

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Shoot with the rain we had here yesterday and on Monday. My mowing schedule has changed drastically. I had only planned on doing two routes this week and two next week. I drove around most of them and they greeened up real good. I now plan on mowing everything in three days. Then next week I should be on schedule.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Download "Weather Scout" to your cell phone. It allows you to zoom radar in to the city your working in and is way more accurate than having to listen to someone tell you what your looking at. Its has up to the min radar that is more reliable than the doppler sh!t, I can watch Tv and it will show no rain and I can look at my phone and it will show lite rain, go outside and it will be a lite mist. Can't leave home with out it.
  6. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, Here in Michigan, this is the last day of rain for a while.

With low 70's here for highs, The grass should take off!
  7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I've learned that you cant rely on them, most times they make a mountain out of a mole hill. Today in Jersey they said it would rain after midnight and into most of the day, wrong. We cut all day today up until 2pm. No rain until 1pm. Yesterday we cut from 930 am till 530 pm. We are only 5 lawns behind, if I believed them we would be 2 days behind! How much money and inconvenience do these knuckleheads cause us blue collar workers, when most times there predicting for a suit and a commute.
  8. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

That isn't any good up here in the mountains with no service! We were supposed to have showers last Thur(had NO rain) clear Fri(rain in morn)
    showers Sat(stayed dry) start rain sun eve.(raining 5 am sun morn) rain thru
    Mon morn(dry all day)nice on Tue(3.7" of rain)We have had 5.75" of rain in the last 10 days and Ernesto is predicted to give us a direct hit late Fri and Sat.
    My school help is all gone and I have a totally screwed up schedule leading into a holiday!All my clients will be so happy with me!
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Man they dont know where that thing is going!! Heck with the weather guys...if it's raining then rain must be in the forecast. Ive given up on trying to figure out the "projected path"
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats why I don't listen to weather reports.
    Try old school weather forcasting I'm sure you heard of some of them, such as red sky at nite sailors delight, red sky in the morn sailors be warned.