1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Danger! Chevy/ GMC truck owners need to read

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by integrityman, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ma71t

ma71t LawnSite Member

Yup...... Already replaced them on my 01. Its under the driver seat area where they run along the top of the frame rail. All the road gunk just sits on top and rots them out. Just actually blasted both my 07 under carriages with fluid film so well see how that goes.
  2. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

It does happen to all makes, but not even close to as much as that era of chevys. It is a very known problem with those. I have a 13 year old truck in central nh and im on the original ones with 170K on both of my trucks. My neighbor has two of those chevys an his son has one and they both have had to replace the lines twice each since theyve had them. My dad is a mechanic and he replaces them all the time
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

If that truck were 3 years old that would be on GM. But it's almost 13 years old, and brake system inspection is part of basic maintenance. It's probably in your manual. It's on you. Lesson learned, inspect your brake lines.
  4. turtle

turtle LawnSite Member

I'll throw out my opinion. I'm sure I'll get ripped to shreds but here goes. In Ct the state uses Calcium Chloride which causes rust, alot of the towns and contractors use treated salts which are stickier and some claim to attack rust.
  5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Same thing happened on my '95 Chevy last year with 160k on it.
  6. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

My Dodge has 110K on it. Ford has 128K and is in better shape mechanically than the Dodge.

JLSLLC LawnSite Gold Member

glad your alright and got it fixed, common problem here! I gotta do mine next!
  8. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 99-01 silverados and im guessing the sierras are a ******* joke. My dads rocker panels are rotted away, break lines have ruptured, beds rusted to ****. We are no longer able to get it inspected in pa. Its a shame a 40 thousand dollar truck is now rendered worthless. Best part is my dad would wash it after every snow storm or salt spreading. Never plowed or salted. My 85 dodge which I wash twice a yeAR Is in 20x better shape tahn my dads 99 silverado. I got less rust and never had a blow break line.