1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Danger Hanging Door Hangers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Jan 5, 2005.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The last couple of weeks there have been some great threads, responses, and pictures of Door Hangers. Now, I have never once tried using them, but I do have a couple of questions that have been in the back of my mind concerning them I would like answered if possible.

Do you guys ever get scared that some big a** dog will come running around the side of the house and come after ya...and now, what do you do? Or has anyone (the owner maybe) come out as your leaving the door hanger and screamed at you for being on their property...and now, what do you say?

Would appreciate your replies. Thanks...
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

ROD--or in the case of BOBBY WEASEL, the homeowner will think it is a hairy mullet wearing dog leaving the door hangers.

GEO :eek:
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

If you are worried about that get one of those mini cans of pepper spray that women keep on their keychains. that will slow down just about any dog so long as you hit him in the face.
  4. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Rod I have never done the door hangers, always just fliers, but I wonder about the same things you ask. Going up on a strangers porch almost seems like an invasion of thier privacy, not too mention dagerous if that dog beats you back to the truck.

Also why does that back pack guy try to make every single post have to do with Bobby???
  5. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, I've unexpectedly met Cujo a few times but fortunately for me I'm not afraid of dogs. Generally, if you avoid looking any threating animal straight in the eyes you can diffuse the situation. Do not run and definitely do not turn your back on them. I see folks all the time out for a walk carrying a stick or broom handle and I'm sure they carry it for the dogs.

I've met the property owner on several occasions and actually did a few estimates on the spot. Most folks are friendly and if I sense they are concerned I always leave my business card with them. Even if they tell me they do their own lawn I'll tell them to call if they are going on vacation or the mower is in the shop.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Dunno why John and Bobby go at it like they do...both I am afraid can be quite arguementative at times.
  7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'm with TX, most people will be decent to you. I have never run into anyone that was pissed. So far no problems with pups for me.
  8. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I did a lot of door hangers last season and didn't really run into too many problems. With my door hangers, I put a couple of coupons with it. So if I run into a homeowner, I just let them know what I'm about and let them know that with the door hanger the can get some good coupons too. Nobody was ever really angry. Although I did not get a real good response as far as new customers with them.
  9. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

What sort of coupons do you use?Are you offering free cuts ,discounts etc
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

In our area dogs are not allowed to run free. All dogs are kept confined in at least a 4' fence. Most dogs are kept in the back yard. Now however there are some that have the entire yard fenced with a 36" gate and i leave the flyer on the gate instead of on the door.
    Never had a problem with homeowners. They tell me they do it themselves all the time. I hand them a business card as above and say if you go on vacation or get tired of doing it, give me a call.