Danger in them yards ..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RonB, Jan 2, 2008.

1. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

About a week ago I ran over one of my customers lawn with the Super Z, mostly just cutting up a few leaves. Flat yard, no nothing around but grass. Out of nowhere I hit this hole with my rear tire that I never knew was there, about a foot deep and long. Didn't think much of it other than - DAMN! .. what was that? .. and went on.

Well today the owner calls and asked if I found a hole in the yard .. "yea, about a foot deep ..", THE HOLE IS NOW 8' DEEP, 4' ACROSS!! He said I hit the edge of an old tree stump and the ground has just caved in.

Whew - could have spent the holidays down under! Careful out there, never know what you'll find in some yards.

2. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

That happened this summer her on long island guy on a stander died when a cespool caved in ( shitty way to go ) lol. Be carfull out there

3. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

Had the same thing happen to me a few years back. There was a drain under a yard that I mowed and I ran over it and the next time we mowed we found about the same size hole you did. Come to find out the city was supposed to fix it years ago and just never got around to it. Also it was a major drain for the city. Scary.

4. huntemup

huntemup LawnSite Member

Not only on the job site but your own home as well.Last year I took out two dying trees in my own yard.Drove the dump truck to the back to clean up,on the 2nd trip thru the front of the truck fell into the ground to the axles.After putting it in four wheel and hooking the other truck we got it out.Here the hole was an old huge dry well that wasnt hooked to anything and after owning the home for 22 years I never knew was there! I lost a good pair of fruit of the looms on that one!

5. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I was mowing on my ZTR last month and hit a hole I couldn't see along the sea wall. I was almost thrown in, mower and all (Exmark 14 hours on it). It was about a 15 foot fall into the Gulf. The man up above must have had his eyes on me.