Dangerous Tires!!!! Are they On Your Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by M & MD Lawn, Apr 15, 2010.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Something doesn't sound right...

And I realize that tires can separate, but radials usually give considerable
    warning as to this type of impending doom, as the lining begins to separate
    the tire develops an egg-like shape which can be felt while driving as an ever-
    increasing vibration that goes on for MILES...
    I couldn't say how many miles, 5, 10, 50, 100...

But I know I've driven on a separating tire before, it's one of those things a driver has to know,
    once it starts it needs to be replaced ASAP.

At first the vibration could seem small but I know for a fact even at lower speeds of say 45 mph
    by the time that thing is about ready to go, there is NO way a driver would not notice the vibration...

And at highway speeds of 60-65+, the car becomes almost un-driveable if it's a front tire,
    on a rear tire the control problem is less severe but still noticeable.

And maybe I'm wrong, maybe they do separate rather suddenly, but it hasn't been my experience.

3. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ive never had it happen to me either, but i try to keep good tires on my truck seeing as i dont have time for tires to be flyin off and potentially my truck being wrecked

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I saw this video somewhere else a while back...maybe I did actually watch it on TV...can't remember. But I was just thinking about this the other week and couldn't remember exactly how you read the numbers on the DOT number to determine the age.

So now I went out and check how old my tires are and I've got 2005's on the front and 2006's on the back...so I'm good for now.

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had tires that were under 6 years old that went egg shaped. Chevy had to replace a set of 6 twice before I switched to Firestones instead of the Goodyears it came with. No more problems of that nature since. All of mine are 2008 dates.

6. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

Old tires start at a dealer sure, but a lot of people buy these super long wearing tires, only to drive 10K a year, so they'll keep them on a said vehicle for 12+ years without thinking twice that the rubber has exceeded its useful life, if not getting close.

Here's the vid I saw a while ago:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897