dangerous...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 04TurfT, Jun 8, 2006.

1. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

today i noticed that when i let go of my safeties my mower dont kill itself... Talk about dangerous if I get thrown off, I could get ran over..... Anybody ever heard of this... I looked and it looks like the spring aint getting released enough to kill the mower. I was also thinking if i get mauled by bees and have to bail my mower is going till i sprint after it.. I gotta fix this quick.............. i got a 04 turf tracer too if that helps any, as far as the fix goes......

2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, get them fixed. This should be a priority. The good thing is you now know about it.

3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting a mad swarm of bees after you is bad enough but if the mower keeps moving if you have to bail off --- hmm.

Get thoses switches checked out and replaced if necessary.
    I knew a guy who started up his boat with a pull cord and it pitched him over the side. His wife didn't know beans and only sat in the boat screaming as it went in circles with him dodging it. Luckily another boater came to the rescue.

Nosmo

4. 04TurfT

holy cow.... I bet that was a site to see the boat doing circles.. Yeah I definatly need to look at the problem asap.

5. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Get it fixed, I got knock off my snapper walkbehind and it t-boned a new toyota camry. A $20 switch cost me $1000.

6. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

check the fuses, if not it's the safety module needs to be replaced. Also check all the wires and make sure one is not exposed. I had a safety module go out early this year, I think it was $190 for a new one, on a scag.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Really? I haven't had a safety switch on any of mine in about 4 years, first time I noticed was on my used mower, and to me that was the coolest thing to not have a machine that every single time I'm not holding everything just right, shuts itself completely down.
    On the newer ones I disable those stupid things because I don't care for that stuff. Many years ago when I grew up, safety switches were unheard of, but now even lighters and gas cans are child proof, which is not to say the danger has been removed.

If I fall off and the mower runs over me, even a working safety won't shut it all down fast enough.
    Log and brush chippers don't have them, you get your hand or foot in there, it's over.
    Why on a lawn mower?
    Learn to walk before you run, know the machine can and will kill you.

And if it does, shouldn't have disabled the safety? Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have been doing a wheelie on an incline :laugh:

8. 04TurfT

ha I guess that's an interesting way of looking at it... you're not the slightest bit scared you might get thrown off? (hit a tree root or run over a hole?) Ground hornets scare me the most, just because as soon as they get on you your instinct is to bail then who knows where the mower will go before you can get back up to it.....

9. not really much to worry about.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh: Speaking of ground hornets and mowers with no safety switches. We use to have this old bob-cat 36" wb a couple years ago and it was built way before safety switches were ever heard of. I was mowing around a tree that has some thorns sticking out around the base. When I went by I felt a couple stings thinking it was the thorns catching my legs I didnt pay any mind to it. Well about 10 seconds later I had 7+ bee stings and hornets swarming me and I let the mower go and ran across the yard to get away. Luckily the mower was aimed for the opposite side of the yard and that old mofo kept a strait line exactly where I was about to mow with it. I ran back up to it and stopped it and let the swarm die down before I finished the job. My father was laughing so hard he could barely breath because he saw the whole thing while cutting the lawn next door. Thank god i am not allergic to bee's. :laugh: