Dangit, need a new mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KS_Grasscutter, Jul 9, 2008.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, so I picked up another lawn with a 3 foot gate. It is the house where the main dude of a church lives, and I may bid on the church too (debating on whether I feel the need to bid against the guy that does it). Anyway, it has a 3 foot gate and a large back yard (thus making a ~$27 lawn a $35 lawn). I am debating between the Cub Cadet 33" (that replaced the Troy Bilt Wide Cut) or a Ferris Hydrocut 32". I know how the 33" cuts, well, how to make it cut good, I am mainly looking for people that have experience with the Ferris. And FWIW, I am NOT mowing any more damn back yards with my stupid 21". Far too unproductive.

This would most likely replace the 21" on the trailer. It won't be used MUCH, just a couple hours a week. Another route I am considering is getting the nicer commercial unit, using it on ALL my back yards, and replacing my 42" Walker and 50" Dixon with a 48" Walker. This would obviously be more efficient due to less overhead...

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

KS - Look also at the Quickie 32.

3. exmark22

exmark22 LawnSite Member

I love my Quick 32 and DITTO on 21''s (too unproductive)

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I guess the Quick 32" is an option... but I would greatly prefer to buy from a local dealer.

5. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

I tried the Ferris 32. Used it for a day and said screw it, i was worn out. Now i may not have been working it right, but the thumb drive things were a pain in the arse, and the single hydro on this particular unit....well it was a pain too. Again, could have been how i was trying to turn it and what not, but never again.

I am looking into a 32 also for the back yards with small gates around here. Currently do them with a 21 and like you said, far too unproductive. I have one customer who pays specifically to have his yard done with the 21, but he pays very well so i continue to do the whole thing.

Anyway, i would try a belt drive or even the Quick hydro (single also) but i have read many many great things about them. I wish we had a local dealer to see for myself.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

If you go with the 48 Walker, how will you fit that through the 3ft or 36in gate?
    Or are you saying that your thinking of trading your 42 and 50 for a 48 AND a small WB????

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

talk him into a wider gate. Offer to do it for free w/ a year contract & first month paid in advance.

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i would go with a dane surfer 34" if it was me

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

You're right about the 21"s being unproductive. I will NEVER buy another commercial 21" for over $1000 and not even use it much or when I do it takes forever to get a nice cut. (Triple cut). Why not get a 34" phazer or 32" metro. Those are my choices when I need one. The phazer was the best 34" rider. The cut will blow anything else away.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

This is, by far, the most profitable way to handle this. It may not work in your situation but if you can do it you will profit in two ways. 1: no need to buy a new machine. 2: using the larger machine will get the job done quicker anyway.

Good luck. BOP has very attractive pricing on their units.