DARK cedar mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ohiolawnguy, Jan 30, 2002.

1. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

I had an odd request from a customer yesterday. She wants dark cedar mulch, and none of our usual mulch suppliers carry it. I understand er reasoning for cedar(insects) but I personally have never seen a dark variety(unless bagged chips count, and even tha looks kinda red), She doesnt like the red cedar mulch she says.

The customer proceeds to tll me that her sister in connecicut has dark cedar mulch. Thats all fine and dandy, but I havent found it here yet. We arent talking a large quantity of the stuff either. 2 yards of it.

Do any northeast ohio LCO's know where I might find this?

If I can't find this type of mulch, what would be an acceptable substitute?

I don't really WANT to buy anything bagged, but will if necessary.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought some bagged pine at home depot yesterday that was really dark, it was made by earth gro (scotts) good stuff

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use cedar mulch most of the time and its never very dark. I would tend to think some one sold her some other goods under the cedar name.

Gene

4. ohiolawnguy

vipermanz, I will check out the pne stuff at ome depot. might be what she ens up with.

Gene, that was my original thought. I dont claim to know of every type of mulch in existence, but like i said. i've never actually heard of it before.

I suppose that a mulch company could "color" the stuff to make it darker, but rain would eventually wash that away anyhow. I have a few mulch distributors that we dont normaly deal with, who are supposed to get in touch with me tomorrow.

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually buy all my mulch from only one place, I have samples of all the kinds they sell I show'em to my customer to pick one color,
    a Cedar Dark mulch could be real different from one place to the other, if it's only 2 yards I woulndn't go for a lot of trouble to get it. unles I might loose a real good customer.

6. ohiolawnguy

Aztlanlc, we have samples also, but she didnt like any of them-go figure. the customer doesnt make us lots of money, but,she is getting up there in age(84), and she is easy to get along with. I tend to treat people as they treat me, and I hope that when I am old and unable someone is the same way towards me.