dark circles in lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Jun 29, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

ok, they're 5-10 foot diameter not always a full circle, darker in color.

what is it? fungus, disease,

how do i get rid of it?
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a fairy ring. If so, it's a fungus in the soil. The easiest thing to do is fertilize and make the surrounding area match. It will eventually work its way out. Do a google search on it and you'll get more precise info and explanations.
  3. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

fairy ring normally has a fungus growth around the edge of the ring you can look for... but ya sounds possible
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Wrong advice ..If it is fairy ring,discontinue use of any fertilizers,hand aerate with spading fork or hand aerifier ,
    making holes 2" apart and as deep as you can or 4"to 6"deep.
    start about 2' outside the ring and work inward.do all around the ring then wash tools and deep soak every other day for a week.Do not fertilize especialy with a high nitrogen fertilizer.
    In worst case,if above does not give you results,then you gotta dig out the area and replace with good soil and reseed or sod.
    Please know what your talking about before giving advice on diseases or you can make a problem worse.
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

don't agree with this....fairy ring is best masked by fertilizing...unless you have a backhoe and can dig up the area...not very cost effective :) ....
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have to concur. There is no digging up the area, as it would need to be excavated rather deep. One of the leading causes of this (fairy ring) is left over roots and organic matter from where a tree once stood several years ago. As it decomposes, the nitrogen rises to the surface causing these rings.
  7. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

If it's a VERY high end account and VERY visible, AND if the client will pay, you CAN fix it. But most times it's best to mask it because it WILL keep going until it reaches the edge of the property. I've seen fairy rings over 200 feet across out in the country.
    I did tell the guy to google it for himself.
    Don't smack us unless you want to be smacked back. Have a nice day.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I couldn't have said it better.

I agree to mask it by fertilizing has always worked for me.
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I could just see the look on the customers face when you tell them you need to excavate their lawn to remove a 200' fairy ring. :p