Dark Spots on Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chef_mercer, Jul 17, 2012.

1. chef_mercer

chef_mercer LawnSite Member

First time poster,

Came home from vacation and found 1 spot 3x3 and 4 small spots about 1 foot big. They are all in the same general area. Any Ideas how to fix or stop these?
    We did have high heat for our area 30degree. i haven`t fertilized since may.

The lawn is only 1 year old. It was hydro seeded last july. http://molsonleague.com/lawn.jpg

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would dig into the soil under the "dark spots" to see if they are different than the rest of the lawn in any way... of course 'dark spots' doesn't describe any thing I'm aware of , unless you mean exposed dirt...

3. chef_mercer

ok I`ll have a look and see.. Sorry the Grass itself as turned almost a dark purple or black. A Picture is attached if that helps

4. Smallaxe

Some kind of slime mold? is this a warm-season grass??

5. chef_mercer

No idea, not sure what slime mold is. The grass feels dry, nothing comes off when rubbed. I will try racking it. Not a warm season grass

6. sloan74

sloan74 LawnSite Member

that's crazy looking. looks like something oozing up from a previous land fill site or something.

7. chef_mercer

haha Hope not, There was nothing built on or near my house, It was fresh ground.

8. Smallaxe

When you figure it out , let us know... its a strange one...

9. chef_mercer

will do for sure, I looked a closer yesterday. There is no sign of any infestation or mold. The grass was very dry, almost straw like, and didn`t hold when I pulled on it.

I have a local lawn maintenance guy coming to look at today and I have contacted the hydro seed company to check it out.